Where to do my divemaster internship? Africa or Australia.....(tnx for the help)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiftysuus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everybody,

I’m hoping you can give me some tips and advice and insights.

I would like to do a divemaster internship (I am currently a certified PADI advanced open water diver with only 13 dives). I was thinking of beginning this intership in December 2014 or a bit later (so I have time this year to save money to pay for the internship and maybe some travelling). I have a Msc in Animal Biology and Welfare (not specialized in marine wildlife, but probably of some use) and am 31 years. I was looking already where to do my divemasters, but saw a lot already and don’t know anymore where to look.

I was thinking of doing my divemaster intership in Africa or Australia. I really liked diving in Africa because of the diving and the scenery, but also because of the people and how relaxed they are. I figure this is also the case in Australia. I’m looking for a diving place where you can do your internship (and if needed I can do my rescue there too and other courses) at your own pace. I don’t mind doing a quick course, but if you need more time on certain parts, they will take the time for you and it’s ok. I also like to find a place where the atmosphere is relaxed and chill. I tend to think I want to go to a place where you all live together on a camp or something (not sure though), because it sounds more fun, but it would be nice to have your own space. I don’t mind a remote place, but going out once and a while would be great. And maybe I want to stay at that diving place to work as a divemaster, so a place where that is possible would be great.

A lot of things I know. But I’m hoping you know some places that suit all these things.

Thanks for all the help and any other tips are very welcome.

Susan

Susan,

I have one other suggestion for you...Utila in Honduras.

Utila offers many of the same amenities you listed above...but a lot less expensive than Australia or Africa (from what I have been told).

When I was looking for a school to do my DM, I looked in Hawaii, Australia, Thailand, Egypt and a few other very well recommended schools. Yet Utila Dive Center ( Utila Dive Center | PADI Career Development Center | Scuba Diving | Bay Islands Honduras | Caribbean and Central America ) kept coming to the top of my list of qualities for schools and was highly recommend by others. When I started to contact schools, again Utila Dive Center stood out from the rest. Most were more interested in my money than my education. Utila Dive Center is ran by like minded individuals with similar educational backgrounds as yours.

I arrived at UDC to do my DM with 90+ dives and training thru Rescue. I did, however, have a few classmates that did all of their training at UDC and from what I saw they were competent divers with good skill sets. I would hire any of them as DMs. I noticed that UDC did not charge them anything extra to make their required number of dives...all they had to do was jump on a boat and go diving. You can discuss this with Andy or Susan who run the school. Not that it matters but just about all of the instructors are from Europe so you will have that common bond; I see you list the Netherlands as your current location.

Here is a review I wrote from my DM course: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/subscription.php?do=addsubscription&t=428224

Good luck with your search and I hope you have a great time with your DM course/internship.

BTW - between Australia and Africa, I would go to Cairns and attend ProDive PADI Scuba Dive Training Great Barrier Reef Cairns Australia - Learn To Dive - Pro Dive Cairns, North Queensland Diving

Happy Bubbles,

~Oldbear~
aka Michael

Hi Everybody,

I’m hoping you can give me some tips and advice and insights.

I would like to do a divemaster internship (I am currently a certified PADI advanced open water diver with only 13 dives). I was thinking of beginning this intership in December 2014 or a bit later (so I have time this year to save money to pay for the internship and maybe some travelling). I have a Msc in Animal Biology and Welfare (not specialized in marine wildlife, but probably of some use) and am 31 years. I was looking already where to do my divemasters, but saw a lot already and don’t know anymore where to look.

I was thinking of doing my divemaster intership in Africa or Australia. I really liked diving in Africa because of the diving and the scenery, but also because of the people and how relaxed they are. I figure this is also the case in Australia. I’m looking for a diving place where you can do your internship (and if needed I can do my rescue there too and other courses) at your own pace. I don’t mind doing a quick course, but if you need more time on certain parts, they will take the time for you and it’s ok. I also like to find a place where the atmosphere is relaxed and chill. I tend to think I want to go to a place where you all live together on a camp or something (not sure though), because it sounds more fun, but it would be nice to have your own space. I don’t mind a remote place, but going out once and a while would be great. And maybe I want to stay at that diving place to work as a divemaster, so a place where that is possible would be great.

A lot of things I know. But I’m hoping you know some places that suit all these things.

Thanks for all the help and any other tips are very welcome.

Susan

Hi Susan :)

Seems you’ve thoroughly enjoyed your diving experience since your first time in the water, now that you’re looking to progress to become a professional!

I get the impression from your post that you haven’t made your mind up exactly on the location of you dive training. The only question you need to ask a dive operator is whether they will provide you with the highest standard in quality dive training so that you graduate a confident dive educator, ready for the dive industry!

I am a full time PADI IDC Staff Instructor at Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures, a PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre fully licensed Adventure Tour & Travel company, based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo.

Our professional dive internship programs are very attractive in the Asia Pacific region and what we offer suits the needs you’ve mentioned too.
Below, is the link to our dedicated website to our Go PRO internship programs for more detailed information.

IDC Asia

To list a few benefits of the internship program that addresses the points in your query:
1) ‘diving and the scenery’
The scuba diving within the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, which is the protected marine park where our premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre on Gaya Island is located, offers amazing species biodiversity of marine life. Coincidentally, Borneo is part of the Coral Triangle, which is the worlds’ ‘Amazon of the Seas’, referring to the biological productivity in the area! So, I doubt you’ll be disappointed with the warm tropical seas we have here!
2) ‘at your own pace’
The internship program is designed to suit the needs of the individual client, and the PADI Divemaster course can be completed in 10 days, however learning from experience is incredibly invaluable, which is why our internships are a minimum of one month.
3) ‘nice to have your own space. I don’t mind a remote place, but going out once and a while would be great’
Our beach house is located on Gaya Island, which is a 7-minute speedboat ride from Kota Kinabalu mainland, so it’s not exactly remote! But if you need or want a day off once in a while from your program, to relax or any other reason, of course! Why not? You have a month!
Your private and en-suite accommodation is situated in Kota Kinabalu city centre and is within convenient walking distance to all amenities.
4) ‘maybe I want to stay at that diving place to work as a divemaster’
During busy times we appreciate the assistance of our professional interns, however it is not paid work since we already have a full time team of PADI Instructors and Instructor Trainers, but is fantastic experience to improve leadership and supervisory skills in your future scuba diving career!

Professional Scuba Instructor Internship in Sabah, Borneo | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

All our websites are a great informative tool, but add us on Facebook and Twitter to keep updated on our daily activities and see what the other professional interns get up to!

https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow

https://twitter.com/divedownbelow

Good luck with your decision, Susan! Hope we can help you in any way when you come to Borneo!

Back
Top Bottom