Where to do my divemaster internship? Africa or Australia.....(tnx for the help)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiftysuus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everybody,

I’m hoping you can give me some tips and advice and insights.

I would like to do a divemaster internship (I am currently a certified PADI advanced open water diver with only 13 dives). I was thinking of beginning this intership in December 2014 or a bit later (so I have time this year to save money to pay for the internship and maybe some travelling). I have a Msc in Animal Biology and Welfare (not specialized in marine wildlife, but probably of some use) and am 31 years. I was looking already where to do my divemasters, but saw a lot already and don’t know anymore where to look.

I was thinking of doing my divemaster intership in Africa or Australia. I really liked diving in Africa because of the diving and the scenery, but also because of the people and how relaxed they are. I figure this is also the case in Australia. I’m looking for a diving place where you can do your internship (and if needed I can do my rescue there too and other courses) at your own pace. I don’t mind doing a quick course, but if you need more time on certain parts, they will take the time for you and it’s ok. I also like to find a place where the atmosphere is relaxed and chill. I tend to think I want to go to a place where you all live together on a camp or something (not sure though), because it sounds more fun, but it would be nice to have your own space. I don’t mind a remote place, but going out once and a while would be great. And maybe I want to stay at that diving place to work as a divemaster, so a place where that is possible would be great.

A lot of things I know. But I’m hoping you know some places that suit all these things.

Thanks for all the help and any other tips are very welcome.

Susan

Last edited:
Hi Susan,

There are alot of Divemaster internship oppurtunities here in Australia however I am not aware of any that has shared camp like accomodation. Maybe somewhere in Far North Queensland?

I'm actually looking to complete my Divemasters in Borneo (Malaysia) with divedownbelow during Mid November for a month. Maybe we could travel together!
Feel free to PM me if your interested.
Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im biased towards promoting Costa Rica. Very relaxed atmosphere that you speak of. I did mean with Rocket Frog Divers. Great diving and they can customize your program specifically for you. Shoot me a message if you want more info...

Hi Shiftysuus

i am am a instructor and worked all over the world and taught 20+ dm's and currently living in Australia and have worked here a bit in diving , all I can say is I would not recommend Australia if you really want to learn to be a Good DM . Well QLD anyway , Queensland has lots regulations and laws therefore many dive shops cut corners , have very big groups students and treat staff badly . I have heard so many bad stories from instructors and DMs working in QLD . Australia and QLD is a great place but there are so many DM's here they don't get well trained .
Now saying that if you pick a dive shop no where near a major tourist area , it you will be better trained .so not on barrier reef or ningaloo reef and should be ok . But check it out carefully .meet the actual instructor who will teach the corse and talk to him personally to get a feel of how he is before you decide .
Diving here is pretty good, but can get colder the more south you go so either in good wetsuit / drysuit appropriate for the area .. Most of Australia will insist you buy a full set of dive gear from the shop you do your DM course in , and the make they sell , so if a Scubapro dive dealer then you will have to buy Scubapro . So check that out first as Australia dive equipment is double price of other countries and sometimes more ..
Hope that helps a little , pm me if need more Info about Australia..

Just saw you are from Netherlands , Curaçao or Bonaire would be a great option , great fun place to live and stay can do relaxed well taught course.
Cheers mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all the info. It's very helpful. I would def want to choose my own gear and not buy it in that shop if needed. I wasn't sure anymore if a DM in Australia would be the correct thing to do, but with your tips I will def have a look if there is something and if not, look for another great place to do it. Australia will still be on my list for awesome place to dive, but maybe not the right place for the DM.

Didn't really think about Curracao and Bonaire, don't know why, maybe because it was too obvious for me I guess. But yeah. I'll have a look. And I know someone who dived there.

Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna continue the search for a cool DM place :)

Back
Top Bottom