Where To Do DM Training???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say, make sure your instructor speaks English. If he doesn't, I don't care what certification he has, he can't help you get through the book. Essentially you will be your own instructor. If you are an independent learner, like me, sitting in class is boring... And I would rather dive. Heck, just get it out of the way in the US .... and enjoy your vacations diving and looking for a heavenly place to work as slave labor as a DM/instructor.

Beyond a DM status as an instructor candidate, your job is to teach. Unless you are bilingual or trilingual ..... Where are you going to find enough English speaking students to teach to? Exotic these places can be, but if you have a mix of tourists - Japanese, French, Dutch, etc... How are you going to assemble a class that you can teach adequately. In the same way, if a mexican instructor taught you in broken English, and you taught a bunch of foreign tourists who also spoke broken English - will this help you or them?

Beyond a DM status as an instructor candidate, your job is to teach. Unless you are bilingual or trilingual ..... Where are you going to find enough English speaking students to teach to? Exotic these places can be, but if you have a mix of tourists - Japanese, French, Dutch, etc... How are you going to assemble a class that you can teach adequately. In the same way, if a mexican instructor taught you in broken English, and you taught a bunch of foreign tourists who also spoke broken English - will this help you or them?

Excellent point!!!!!!

I am in the process of returning from the IDC and MSDT course at Utila Dive Center. Actually sending this from the airport at El Salvadore. I spent five weeks on Utila, about three of them in some sort of training. I had my Resuce and DM before I went, but I made freinds with a lot of people that did their DM at UDC. All were happy with their experience. It takes about a month to do the DM at UDC. UDC is a very busy dive operation and the experience that a DM gets there is invaluable. Many people stay on and work in Utila and/or go on for their Instructor Development Course. My experience with the IDC there was very good. I have no complaints.

Dive Experience St. Croix USVI

Tropical, speak english, spend dollars but drive on the wrong side of the road.
They teach a Great course there. I know I worked there.

I think that if I had the time and the money I would seriously consider the Utila IDC facility. I have dived in Roatan and have read testimonials on the IDC on Utila.

Let us know what you decide.

Personally, I think its best if you train where you are going to be working-teaching. If you are going to be leading in cold water, train in cold water. This gets you prepared for what you should expect in the real world. See if local shops have dive master trainer instructors and are having classes. The more convient things are the more likely you will be able to dive more. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom