Where to dive on cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbaty

Registered
Reaction score
I am going on a cruise in Sept to Cozumel Mexico, Roatan Honduras, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Belize City Belize. I can dive at two spots. (according to wife) :) Which 2 and does anyone have any experience with dive operators at any of the ports. I don't want to do the Carnival shore excursions.

Thanks

There's good diving at all those ports of call. Your decision will be influenced by the arrival time of your boat into port, since most operators do their two tank dives starting fairly early. Don't forget that you'll need some time just getting off the boat, unless you get up early and hang out near the exit point. I'd see if the Carnival can give you a more detailed schedule, then review your options.

It all depends on how long you're going to be at port. Although the diving booked through the cruise line will usually cost $30 to $100 more than what you can book on your own, you are guaranteed that the ship will wait if you are late getting back (almost guaranteed - at least up to an hour late). But if you miss the ship, they will make arrangement for you to get to the next port, and for food, and housing. The dives associated with the cruises are usually not very far from the dock, can be bland, and not representative of the island. But what do you expect for a 1 or 2 tank dive?

Arrangement can be made on your own upon arrival, or before you leave (better). But if you prepaid, and the ship comes in late, you are out of money. If your own arranged boat/transportation get caught in traffic, have engine trouble, etc... and you miss your ship, they'll not even hold the ship for 15 minutes! You are messed up big time, and the cost of transportation (plane) to the next port might cost more than the cruise itself.

I'd say, if you are going to overnight at a port, it is quite safe to get an early morning dive with an outside shop. If you are going to stick with diving with the ship's shops, then you'll need to book early - as they are usually sold out by the time you board. Some ports are in busy area of the city, and a traffic jam can make a 10 minute trip from port becomes a 30 minute trip or more returning.

Do not check in your dive gears. If you can, pull and take ALL of your luggages onboard by yourself. Tell them that every thing is too valuable. As they will only insure you for only $50 per missing luggage. Eventhough they'll tell you on the brochure that you can declare the value of your luggages if you want more than $50 refunded, their staff acts as if they never heard such a thing, and will try to sell you insurance. Pony tanks have given me grief on a cruiseline before, so don't expect them to make exception (call first). I saw a man griping as his expensive camera equipment was damaged.... That's why tow it on yourself, and don't worry about them losing your precious gears.

I am going on a cruise in Sept to Cozumel Mexico, Roatan Honduras, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Belize City Belize. I can dive at two spots. (according to wife) :) Which 2 and does anyone have any experience with dive operators at any of the ports. I don't want to do the Carnival shore excursions.

Thanks

Tough call.

The dive op in Belize is Hugh Parkey, who does an excellent job.

Cozumel is also really nice.

Grand Cayman is supposed to be excellent, however the weather seems to be a lot more "iffy". I've been to GC on cruises 5 times and haven't been in the water yet.

One of the cruise lines has a really cool Shark Dive on Roatan. Not sure if it was Norwegian or Princess.

Terry

On two trips to Cozumel I booked the diving thru Carnival. The dives were ok but not impressive. They tend to pick sights close to the docks (about 30 minutes away) and they treat you like novice divers.

On two trips to Cozumel I booked the diving thru Carnival. The dives were ok but not impressive. They tend to pick sights close to the docks (about 30 minutes away) and they treat you like novice divers.
That's pretty standard practice for cruise dive operations considering the kind of divers they generally get plus their need to keep to a defined schedule.

I can recommend www.neptunesdivers.com in Grand Cayman. You can also shore dive there at Eden Rock. It is close enough to where the tenders dock in Georgetown that you could walk there. There are two nearby dive shops to rent tanks and other needed gear. You'll need a buddy because they won't rent tanks to a solo diver.

Some operators to check out for Cozumel:
www.scubawithalison.com
www.scubatony.com
www.eagleraydivers.com

You might also check with your wife and see if she'd be willing to go on a combo dive/snorkel trip. I'm pretty sure both Alison and Eagleray do combo trips.

Because the diving is good at all those stops, you might consider what you do to on the non-diving stops and chose your diving after you have made your other choices.

For example, the signature excursion in Grand Cayman is Stingray City. Most often this is done as a snorkel trip, but it can be dived as well.

Belize has lots of fun excursions, but logistics is tougher there because the ships have to anchor quite a ways off shore. If you do decide to dive there, the ship's excursion picks up directly from the ship which is way more convenient. If you want to see Mayan ruins, Belize is also the best stop to see them.

Roatan also has some shore diving. I think you can do some shore diving at Cocoview Resort and your wife can hang out there while you dive.

Finally, be sure to check out the message boards on www.cruisecritic.com for ship and port of call specific questions. You can also find your sailing in the roll call section and meet others who will be on your cruise.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom