Where to dive near Trang?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JD_McCombs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be heading to Trang for a pre-Songkran vacation in a few weeks and would like to do a little diving. I'm flying into Trang on April 8th and will be busy through the 10th. I would like to dive on the 11th, 12, and 13th before I fly back to Bangkok on the 14th. Are there any diving operations in Trang? If there aren't where should I go that is easy to get to from Trang?

I didn't anticipate doing any diving during my stay in Thailand, so all of my gear is still in the USA. I will need to rent everything, so I would also like to dive with a shop that has safe rental equipment.

Thanks for your help!

As far as I know no diving directly from Trang, so I'd recommend to go to either Koh Lipe of Koh Lanta. Alternatively, there are diving options from Koh Mook and in Pak Meng you'll find Sea Bees.

Are you going to be able to leave Trang for a few days or do you need to stay on the mainland for family events?

If you can only do daytrips from the mainland, then I recommend the SeaBees shop partnered with the Anantara Si Kao resort, quite near Trang. They do daytrips out to Koh Haa and to Hin Daeng as well as to Koh Mook (or Koh Muk). I've had customers who have been quite happy with those daytrips.

If you can get away, you can go stay on Koh Lanta for daytrips to those same places plus to the Phi Phi area; there are many ops to choose from.

Or you can go stay on Koh Mook where there are several dive centers as well. If you want a more rustic experience, you can get to Koh Libong or to Koh Kradan. These dive centers tend not to go too far for their diving, so the dive sites are around Hin Nok, Koh Mook, and Koh Rok.

Or mainland Krabi - good op I dive with regularly does trips to Hin Daeng - there are some lovely places in Ao Nang landside too.

Are you going to be able to leave Trang for a few days or do you need to stay on the mainland for family events?

I will be able to leave Trang for a few days at the end of my trip. I'm just flying back to Bangkok from Trang on the 14th.

If Koh Lanta is a good place to dive from outside of Trang I could defiantly go there. Are there any dive shops or accommodations you would recommend? I would be perfectly fine staying in a very simple room.

Thanks for the info!

Or mainland Krabi - good op I dive with regularly does trips to Hin Daeng - there are some lovely places in Ao Nang landside too.
Yeah, Ao Nang might be an option if he can get away and if he can get a flight departing from Krabi airport rather than Trang. Ao Nang is a fair distance from Trang--not impossible, but further than he would actually need to go to find a shop if he had to double back there to fly out.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 05:25 PM ----------

I will be able to leave Trang for a few days at the end of my trip. I'm just flying back to Bangkok from Trang on the 14th.

If Koh Lanta is a good place to dive from outside of Trang I could defiantly go there. Are there any dive shops or accommodations you would recommend? I would be perfectly fine staying in a very simple room.

Thanks for the info!
On Lanta, personally I like ScubaFish, but there are many good ops, and we each have our favorites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom