Where to dive in Townsville/Cairns/PD on time & money budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got 3 days in Townsville & 6 days in Cairns. I'm trying to plan some dives on a time & money budget.

I can probably spend no more than about $650 on diving... and as I'm staying with friends, I can't spend my whole time in the water without them!

I was interested in diving the Yongala Wreck - although time is pushed here as I arrive Sunday pm in Townsville and fly to Cairns on Thursday morning.

Originally I was thinking of joining a liveaboard sailing boat, such as Rum Runner or Vagabond and doing a 2day 1 night trip. I'm keen not to be on a packed boat with lots of crowds... however, reading some comments of the areas they sail to - it sounds like I'll be seeing lots of bigger boats & dead coral anyhow.

The other option I was looking at, was going to Port Douglas and doing a day trip to Agincourt Reef, perhaps with Poseidon, who are offering a deal of free transfer from Cairns and 3rd dive + equipment free at the time I'm going.

So, I could either do Yongala Wreck + Port Douglas, or one of those two, plus the overnight sailing trip...

Any advice - what would others do?

Whilst in an ideal world I'd go to the Cod Hole etc, time & money won't allow on this trip.

Thanks!

I worked as a DM on Reef Encounter, which is a liveaboard out of Cairns, and they have a deal where if you sign up and pay for your first night, you can stay on for free for as long as you want as a "hostie", which means you clean up after meals and make beds, etc. It's a pretty sweet deal considering you do about 3-4 hours of work a day for 3 dives, meals, and accommodation.

That does sound like a great deal - I'll certainly think about that for the future - but I'll be on school holidays (I'm a teacher as well as a DM) so looking for something where I can see a few different spots and still spend time with friends in Cairns and Townsville.

Thanks for the info - maybe the June/July holidays will allow me to do more!

As Danhool34 says Reef Encounter is a great budget over night boat and you can get 2 day 1 night trips for quite a good price Cairns Over Night Live Aboard Dive Trips With Kangaroo Explorer To The Great Barrier Reef. There are plenty of others but this is the cheapest and does offer a range of sites.

Lots of good day trip boats too and ReefQuest offereing 1 cert dive for $140 and Tusa offering 3 dives for the price of 2. These 2 are out of Cairns, and as you said Poseidon (Port Douglas) also offereing good deals. Here are a few of the options Cairns Day Diving Trips to the Great Barrier Reef

Regarding the Cod Hole - join our Facebook page (search for Aquapro Dive Services) and you wil see we post the last minute standby specials up there. Taka often release last minute deals the week before travelling if there are spaces left. If you are in Cairns at the time, and want to chance it, you may get on at last minute for a good deal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Yes, when I'm next up in Cairns with more time, I'll definitely try the standby option for Cod Hole etc - this time it won't be viable unfortunately.

My only concerns with the bigger ventures is the number of people and feeling rushed on/off - like a machine! (Prior experience elsewhere) - this is why I was interested in some of the sailing boats that do diving. They seem to have a max of 15. I'm not worried about the accommodation being more cramped etc, I don't need anything fancy for one night. Plus I liked the idea of the sailing boat in general - anyone got any experience of these?

Still trying to decide about Yongala too - from what I've read trips out of Townsville are long & don't always go due to weather - I'm wondering if this is perhaps (mid April) the wrong time of year & to leave the wreck for another time. I've only got 3 days in Townsville too & fly on day 4.

Yongala out of Townsville is a LONG trip. 3 hours there and same back. Ayr is better town to leave from as its 45 mins on a RHIB boat which only takes 12 people. Much better experience. Worth making the trip down to Ayr (hour or so south of Townsville) Yongala Wreck Dives From Ayr Or Townsville

Sail boats out of Cairns would be - day trip Passions of Paradise (there are bigger ones, but Passions has a great reputation and is a fun day out) or Coral Sea Dreaming for over night. The latter would probably be the best bet for you as goes to better dive sites and takes small groups. Cairns Live Aboard Dive Trips With Santa Maria and Coral Sea Dreaming To The Outer Barrier Reef

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Back
Top Bottom