Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might consider the South Andaman. In my opinion the South Andaman offers some of the best diving in Thailand at the moment. Places that I like include Koh Ha, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Hin Khao. It's generally less crowded than the North. I live in Thailand and generally do three or four liveaboards per year. The South is always my first choice. (And, Koh Tao would be way down near the bottom.)

while Koh Tao is not the top tier, it's still a great place to dive. for example, juvenile whale sharks come there quite often, and the overall marine life diversity is good.
also there are 3 wrecks, from the very beginner level to the hardcore technical diving.

We were in Koh Tao for 22 days a few years ago. Was a great place to be. liked everything about the place. Water was calm, warm, super clear. Dives for everyone available. Shallow - 30 feet to 100 feet. 1000's of fish on every dive. Satticut wreck to dive. Will there be better places to go - always. Why? Because we have the whole world to explore. Go to Koh Tao, live the simple life, eat cheap, dive everyday. You might not want to ever go home.

You can certainly dive, eat, party and sleep cheaply on Koh Tao. But if diving is your main reason of coming to Koh Tao then you will be very disappointed.
I went to Koh Tao few yrs ago and have no intention to go back again. One week was more than enough for me.

You can certainly dive, eat, party and sleep cheaply on Koh Tao. But if diving is your main reason of coming to Koh Tao then you will be very disappointed.
I went to Koh Tao few yrs ago and have no intention to go back again. One week was more than enough for me.
You have someone who is asking specifically about Thailand. Yet you don’t have a single nice thing to say and offer no alternative. Take your negativity somewhere else. IMO

You have someone who is asking specifically about Thailand. Yet you don’t have a single nice thing to say and offer no alternative. Take your negativity somewhere else. IMO
You can't live with an honest assessment on Koh Tao!!!
There is NO chance that I will ever return to Koh Tao because there are simply so many superior alternatives. Eating, partying and sleeping cheaply have nothing to do with my scuba trip. The underwater scene is the only deciding factor.

The darker side of Thailand

I’m going to Koh Lipe for 2 weeks diving with DJL in March next year. Air Asia do a combined flight-bus-ferry deal for just over 2,000THB from Bangkok. A bit more relaxed than Koh Tao (which I’ve been to 4 times, and would go again - for the diving with Master Divers).

I would definitely head to the Andaman side, particularly as you’re going in Feb, which is a perfect time to go.
Haven't dived the Similans or Surin areas yet but I’ve had some fantastic dives out of Phuket, Phi Phi and Lanta, eg King Cruiser wreck, the Bida sites, Koh Haa and Hin Daeng/Muang (we saw mantas at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang during a plankton bloom in early March, so you might get lucky). We’ve been at various times of year including Feb/March and never found the sites to be over-crowded.
Koh Lipe is a nice little island with some decent diving, although from my experience the areas I mentioned above have better diving on the whole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom