Where to dive in thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirlwithdogs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
After 10 days in Palau, 7 of which will be on the Siren live aboard, we're flying to Phuket. We are leaning towards a resort with nearby dive shop as 2 liveaboards in 2 weeks might be a little claustrophobic. Any recommendations? Koh Tao on the east/gulf area is supposedly very overcrowded; we are told the West (Andaman Sea) coast is best. Phuket looks like it would be very busy and noisy but we've heard good things about Khao Lak, which seem to be closest to Similan Islands.

I'd appreciate any recommendations by those who have been there recently ...

Scubagirlwithdogs

The diving around Phuket is not even close to how good it is in Palau, but it is still much better than the gulf of Thailand.

Phuket dive shops rent space on big dive boats leaving out of Chalong Bay pier. Its about an hour drive from Patong in the van with all the stops to pick up divers. If you want a nice beach vacation look at Karon or Kata beaches. Kamala is also very good.

My wife and I used Seabees in both Phuket and Koh Lak, they have an awesome quiet little resort in both locations. Koh Lak is nice, laid back and great diving (we did a livaboard to the Similans), in Phuket we did lots of day trip dives, also lots to see and do. We are both dive pros and appreciate a well run, professional operation, Seabees was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Decompression and ... fellow Canadians!!! Thank you for this information. I was just looking at Seabees today so your comments are very much appreciated--we have been diving since 1986 and have developed an intolerance for sloppy operations and especially those who pair novices with experienced divers and we get shortened dives, or those that take too many in a group.

When you refer to Koh Lak is that the same as Khao Lak (these names are challenging!). The other response above mentioned Ko Lanta with Scuba Fish which would mean no Similan Islands. have you dived there or at Hin Mouang and Hin Daeng?

You could also look at Krabi and contact Dan at Posiedon and ask when they are next doing at 2 day I night trip to Hin Muang and Hin Daeng. Phi Phi islands are a regular spot for divers out of phuket and krabi - I dived there two weeks ago and wow, what a difference 5 years makes. Id shoot for Hin Daeng and Hin Muang (still good) - phi phis showing the results of large numbers of divers and snorkellers standing on the corals taking selfies. Dont expect Thai diving to be anywhere near Palau standards and you wont be disappointed. Thailand is still a lovely place to chill and explore.

Hello Decompression ... did you by chance dive in Ko Lanta? Similan Islands not possible from there; however Hin Muang and Hin Daeng which I have read are amongst the best in Thailand are nearby. One drawback seems to be access to Ko Lanta since we are flying into and out of Phuket. Good to hear that Koh Lak is laid back and if we go there would definitely go with Seabees; thanks very much for that recommendation.

ps Where in Canada are you from? We are just outside of Edmonton on a lake (which is frozen solid) ... definitely excited about rolling into warm turquoise water with technicolour fish!!

s.

Hello Decompression ... did you by chance dive in Ko Lanta? Similan Islands not possible from there; however Hin Muang and Hin Daeng which I have read are amongst the best in Thailand are nearby. One drawback seems to be access to Ko Lanta since we are flying into and out of Phuket. Good to hear that Koh Lak is laid back and if we go there would definitely go with Seabees; thanks very much for that recommendation.

ps Where in Canada are you from? We are just outside of Edmonton on a lake (which is frozen solid) ... definitely excited about rolling into warm turquoise water with technicolour fish!!

s.

Would you believe, Edmonton? Didn't get to Koh Lanta, but Phuket is still pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had a good experience on seabees. They own and run their own boats, rather than booking space on other's boats.

Unfortunately our flight into Phuket doesn't get in until 2:05 pm and there are no ferries later in the day, so it's either a $3,000 one way by helicopter (short) flight Ko Lanta or a 5 hour trip including a drive plus 2 ferries...this is what several hotels have advised. Can't seem to find any flights between 2 airports (Phuket and Krabi). Frustrating since we were really hoping to experience Hin Muang and Hin Daeng and the islands in that area look very beautiful; but we have only 3.5 days before leaving Phuket for Bangkok and then home. If we didn't want the long trip to the Similans are there other good dive sites in Khao Lak?

From what I've read Phuket sounds a bit noisy and busy for us--we're also looking for a spa resort for late afternoons after diving
Scubagirlwithdogs there is no hassle getting to Lanta or Krabi from Phuket - the Ferries leave 8.30am from Rassada Pier and can be booked online. Just check the schedule to all islands here and book online if you want to hit Hin Daeng & Muang - Phuket to Phi Phi | Koh Lanta to Phuket | Ferry Phi Phi to Phuket

Thanks very much for your response and other suggestions you might have.

Back
Top Bottom