Where to dive in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I will be on Maui in June. We have snorkeled Black rock , turltle city and alot of the Snorkel Bob places before we were certified. Are the shore diving locations on Maui more or less the same places that Snorlel Bob suggest to his patrons?

I'm sure some Maui divers will chime in soon, but until then you can read up what some folks have posted on Maui Dive sites here

Do an internet search for "The Diver's Guide to Maui". You can pick it up for around $15. I have found it to be extremely useful and informative.

Also be forewarned that if you are shore diving you MUST have a dive flag with you at all times. If you are caught without one, you WILL get a ticket. You can rent one at most any of the dive shops where you rent tanks or get an air fill.

The easy dive flag translation is; a minimum 12" by 12" dive flag must be displayed on the surface when shore diving, there is no underwater distance restriction from the flag, but, except in emergency you are prohibited from surfacing more than 100 ft from the flag, except in emergencies diving in boat navigation channels is prohibited and it is a violation to leave your flag in the water when you are not diving. Fines have been handed out to repeat and blatent violators.

link to sb thread on Hawaii dive flag rules.

Do an internet search for "The Diver's Guide to Maui". You can pick it up for around $15. I have found it to be extremely useful and informative.

Parrothead: have you had opportunity to explore these sites as mentioned in the book?

I agree that it's a useful resource, but there's some stuff that couldn't be further from the truth -- take Olowalu's (Mile Marker 14) site information for example. The author suggests it's best dove in the summer, due to "winter's northwest swell."

This is the *ONE* site that is almost NEVER affected by the NW swells -- in fact, when the NW swells wrap around and wash out the South Maui sites, we head up to Olowalu for training!

Anyways... it really depends on skill level and willingness to schlep gear. Some of the spots that work for snorkelers don't work so well for divers, because of distance from parking...

Also, what do you want to see? Any specific wildlife? How about underwater formations?

wow, I havn't heard about the dive flags. We will be going with our LDS but I was just trying top plan ahead in case we wanted to break from the crowd and do our own thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom