Where to Dive in British Columbia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffMandell

Reaction score
Rodale's again this year lists diving in British Columbia as being amongst the greatest experiences in the world. But, they don't say where in B.C. and they don't suggest any dive operators. I'm interested in trying this during the summer and I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to go to dive and who to dive with.(And some description of what there is to see up there would be great).

What you want to see will depend where you go.
Wrecks, reefs, walls, and big sealife may be found but at different places.

A good place to start is Nanaimo, BC. It's a ferry ride from Vancouver. I would suggest Ocean Explorers as a dive operator. Ian, who owns Ocean Explorers is also the President of the assciation that has brought in the wrecks for diving. In addition for a real treat, try to time your trip (a call or e-mail to Ian will help, when the tide exchange is good for Dodd's Narrows You'll be blown away by the life and color! They have VERY reasonable packages that include accommodations.

Cousteau called BC the second best place on the planet to dive, right after the Red Sea. He's right!

Good luck- you call e-mail me if you have specific questions about other locals. I think this place is the best if you only have a few days and you want to get a "feel" for the diving. GET A DRY SUIT! It's chilly water up here.

Also, summer isn't the best time for vis- we get a huge plankton bloom that really detracts from the diving. Winter is best.

Shep

Admittedly I am a a new diver but I already count my blessings that I have had the opportunity to train and dive here in Vancouver. I hope someone can correct me but there aren't any really amazing dives close to Vancouver area. From what I hear the really great dives are all around Vancouver Island and Northern B.C. Also from what I hear the best dives are mostly chartered dives ..few are shore entries.
The suggestion to check into the wrecks via the president of that association is an EXCELLENT idea.
Also you may want to check into: abyssal.com divedynamike.com godspocket.com,
sunshinecoasttours.com porpoisebaycharters.com -THese should get you started and I am sure there are more experienced divers in this forum that can help you much more.

If you are diving around Vancouver drop me a line :)
Take care and good luck!

Hi Freeman,

You should check out a book called "101 dives From the mainland (BC and Washington), plus the other books she has written as a start (if you have not already). They list a lot of shore dives.

Cheers.

My-way once bubbled...
Hi Freeman,

You should check out a book called "101 dives From the mainland (BC and Washington), plus the other books she has written as a start (if you have not already). They list a lot of shore dives.

Cheers.

Funny you should mention that cuz just last week I went book hunting and Betty Pratt- Johnson was on my list. I walzted into the first bookstore on my list and *WHAM* I found her "141 Dives for Washington and BC" from 1977!! THis is quite the find from what I hear :wink: and its in excellent shape. At the same bookstore I also found "Pacific Coast Nudibranchs" and and OLD PADI Manual with the US NAVY Dive Tables *woohoo!* Talk about a good score, eh? At the 2nd bookstore I picked up an autographed copy of Carl Trepanier's " The Vancouver Area Diving Guide" in mint condition.
Thanks for the suggestion, I am keeping an eye out for the 101 and 99 dives from Betty Pratt- Johnson as well. I can't wait for her new book to come out.
Cheers,

I would suggest you take a week and spend it on the eastern coast of Vancouver Island. The Cape Breton and Saskatchewan off Nanaimo are must do dives and I would say they are two of BC's "signature dives" . The Cape Breton is HUGE and it would take several dives to fully explore this wreck. The Saskatchewan is a 366' naval destroyer with lots of life. Then head up to Campbell River for some drift diving with Earl at Abyssal Dive Lodge (watch out for those mutant size sea urchins) I also Port Hardy on the northern end of Vancouver Island has great diving although I haven't had the pleasure yet.

As someone already mention, summer is not the best time to dive here. Wait till October when the viz starts to get better.

As has already been mentioned, there's a lot of variety in B.C. diving. And for the most part, you get what you pay for.

Cheapest way to go ... camping/diving at Porteau Cove, on the Sea to Sky highway just north of Vancouver. There's a nice dive park, and if you have a boat there's some nice wall diving just south of the park.

Diving Howe Sound with BC Dive Adventures http://www.bcdive.com/ is also a reasonably inexpensive option. There are some really nice dive sites out around Bowyer Island ... mostly walls and pinnacles ... and we had a wonderful time there last year playing with a seal.

In Nanaimo the two premier operators are Ocean Explorers and VI Dive Vacations. Both are excellent, and both are reasonably expensive. A less expensive option is to go out on a smaller boat, like Technically Speaking http://www.tsdivecharters.com/home.htm. My preferred boat in Nanaimo is Sea Kiss (http://www.vidive.com), because it has an on-board nitrox filling station (you only bring one tank), the boat is spacious for the number of divers it accommodates, and because Ed Singer offers a great overall package for the money. I was in Nanaimo two weeks ago and vis was still quite good (30-40 feet). And although the wrecks are the signature dives in Nanaimo, some of the other dives (like Snake Island wall, Four Fathom Reef, and Jesse Island) are great dives.

The Victoria area also has some fine diving ... and one signature shore dive, the Ogden Point Breakwater. It's a bit of a haul getting out to where the good stuff is, but not too bad ... you just walk along the rocks till you get tired, then backroll into the water and descend. I dove the breakwater last Friday, and vis was 20-25 feet.

Hornby Island also has some nice diving, and a great charter operation ... http://www.hornbyislanddiving.com/ ... I was up there last July and vis was between 30 and 70 feet, depending on dive site, depth, and what the tides were doing. Rob and Amanda run a first-rate diving operation.

But my favorite (so far) place on Vancouver Island is Barkley Sound. I was there this past week-end and the diving was incredible. The dive sites are mostly pinnacles, with a few walls and reefs. They're covered in life this time of year, and the colors are simply overwhelming. We had vis between 20 and 50 feet, depending on depth, dive site, and tides. Incredible amounts of sea life, with huge ling cod (I saw one this week-end that was easily 150 lbs!), octopus, wolf eels, and more quantity and variety of rockfish than I've seen anywhere else. We went with Rendezvous Dive Ventures in Rainy Bay http://www.rendezvousdiveventures.com/, and it was great!

Back over on the mainland, try Sechelt Inlet with Porpoise Bay Charters http://www.porpoisebaycharters.com/. There's not as much sea life as you'll find at Barkley Sound, but the vis is usually pretty good, and the diving is overall very good. I can't vouch for what it'd be like this time of year though ... I was there in February.

I'll be hitting Campbell River/Quadra Island in a couple of weeks, and will post a trip report when I return. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to these other places I've been in B.C.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom