Where to dive if I just moved to NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do have a budget and it is pretty tight because winter is the peak season in the warm-water destinations. Everybody wants to head south when it is freezing in the north.

The water can be quite cold in Florida and the Bahamas in the winter and spring IMO - and kind of cold in the Turks and Caicos, too. As you go further south into the Caribbean, the Yucatan, or Central America then water gets warmer as I am sure you know already.

I did a quick search and I found nonstop, direct, roundtrip airfares for around $500 in January on JetBlue from JFK in NY to GCM (Grand Cayman).

If they still have any availability for the Holiday Package (through Jan 18 2020) at the Cobalt Coast resort it might work for you. The price of $1480 x 2 comes out to $423 per day for 2 people over one week. That price includes transfers, accommodations, 3 meals a day, 2 boat dives per day, taxes, and hotel service charges.

Not included are the dive shop tips, nitrox - if you use it, and alcoholic beverages. The package also includes unlimited shore dives on the house reef but that end of the island can be windy in the winter - so you might not get much shore diving. I'm partial to Cayman so I keep an eye out for bargains and that is a good price for the high travel season in my opinion.

Dive Free with 7-Night Holiday Special
Thank you so much for this info!
I'm looking at their website, you are right it is a good deal. Why are you partial do diving in Cayman? How would you rate it compared to Cozumel?

Scuba New York is putting a trip to cayman brac for presidents week in Feb at about $2700. Includes airfare hotel 3 dives per day 3 meals per day

Thank you, your replies help me figure out what my budget is, I think this is above my Budget. I would pay not more than 1800 dollars for a person including everything for a week.

Used to live in NY but moved to somewhere the diving is better at least for me. I would definitely look around at local clubs and join one. They often do group trips which can really cut back on prices and you you are diving with friends. The viz on Long Island is nothing like here in Cayman but it is a great way to get in some dives and improve your skill set. Same for Hudson River. I think there is even a group at City Island. The Galapagos is an amazing trip but the water is cold, soooo cold. However that’s what makes the diving so incredible. All those mag creatures feeding on nature’s bounty. Lots of diving in Florida Keys and sometimes the airfares and travel time fit a better for a quick trip. Just not going international saves airport time. Have only been fishing off NJ coast, so cannot comment on what’s it got to offer. Hope you enjoy the big Apple. Sounds silly but if I had stayed up there I was planning to volunteer as a dive cleaner at the big tanks at the Aquarium. Just thought it would be a learning experience and I would have my head in the water!

It doesn't sound silly at all :)

If you live in NYC and want to get involved with the local diving community, I can recommend the NYC Sea Gypsies.

While some of our activities involve local diving in the NY/NJ area (which it sounds like you are not interested in), most of our members don't actually participate in that. We have regular meetings each month with great speakers (we just had Jill Heinerth, have had Gaelin Rosenwaks, Erika Bergman, Christina Zenato in the past, our upcoming speaker for next week is Bruce Konefe, one of the cave divers who ran the rescue of the Thai soccer team last year).

We also have monthly underwater photographic meetings and other social events. It's a great place to meet divers, learn from others' experience, and plan trips, if that's your thing.

Click on the link, and maybe come to the October meeting on the 28th, no charge!

That is a really good idea! I requested to join and I'm planning to attend the meatup in October. We are new in NYC and if we end up meeting nice people who like to dive, that would be wonderful!

Grand Cayman vs Cozumel...

Im a fan of both. Cozumel is generally less expensive, for diving, hotel and food. A bit harder to get to, but I enjoy the local experience. You fly to Cancun, and take bus/car service one hour south to Playa del Carmen, then ferry across. (There are also some good dives in the PdC area and south, including cenotes.) I enjoy being in Mexico. Diving is almost exclusively boat dives, you can get blown out by El Norte in the winter, and some sites in the southwest are currently closed.

Grand Cayman will feel like you are in America, except they drive on the wrong side of the street. Except for the occasional American who drives on the "right" side of the street, at least for a few blocks before wrecking his rental car! Diving is from boats onto interesting formations and one purpose sunk wreck, but I love the shore diving. Some favorites are Maccabuc, Devils Grotto/Eden Rock and Sunset House Reef. Lots of life and coral, schools of tarpon, etc. Grand Cayman tends to be a bit more expensive for food and lodging. Easy direct flight from JFK.

That is a really good idea! I requested to join and I'm planning to attend the meatup in October. We are new in NYC and if we end up meeting nice people who like to dive, that would be wonderful!

Great! Say hi to me when you get there.... I'm the dive chair, will give a short report. You will also have the opportunity to introduce yourself to everyone. You will meet a LOT of nice people!

Hi
Welcome.

Sometimes you can find (Colorful) tropical fish on the shores of Long Island.

One program for an intro to local diving is here.
Dive Long Island Program

Back
Top Bottom