Where to dive if I just moved to NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michshlomo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, if not please redirect me to a different one :)
My husband and I are experienced divers, we recently moved to NYC from Israel and are excited to explore our diving options.
The problem is I'm drowning in the sea of possibilities!
We are less into lake diving, and willing to take flights. Our budget is a little bit tight, for example my goal will be to do a live-aboard in the Galapagos but can't afford it. I am thinking about a week in a budget friendly resort in Mexico/Belize/anywhere else.
We dived a few times in the Philippines and Thailand and 1 time in Mexico (blue angel resort is exactly the style I'm looking for). We love big animals or corals, but not into wreck diving.
I hope this explains everything, your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
I haven't heard anything about the diving in Florida before, I'll check it out.

Sounds like I won't have any success getting you to dive locally so I won't even try.

While high and dry (in the middle of some of the most interesting diving anywhere) I would suggest that you get yourself a copy of David Rosenthal's "Scuba Diving the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY" It isn't what one might think if going just by the title, it is a fun read...

There is also a bunch of local shore and near-shore diving in the greater NYC area from wrecks to creatures.

I'd suggest check out the NYC Sea Gypsies: Home They do local meetings, classes and dive trips (local and distant). @NYCNaiad and @doctormike are the local ambassadors around here and both great folks.

Thank you guys, I will definitely look into this, it does sound interesting.
What about a week someplace else ? :)

In NYC you can fly directly to many locations in Florida, the Bahamas, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, what is your budget and what time of year do you want to travel?

If you are thinking of traveling soon then take a look at the all-inclusive holiday dive packages being offered by the Clearly Cayman resorts for Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman:

Free Diving - Our Holiday Gift to You

You can fly direct to Grand Cayman - or if you want to go to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman then you can take a short flight (half-hour) on Cayman Airways.

And Scubaboard is also offering upcoming trips to Little Cayman and Roatan:

ScubaBoard Surge 2020 Little Cayman Package Deal

ScubaBoard Invasion 2020 Roatan Package Deal

A lot of Caribbean resorts and liveaboards are advertising "Fall" and "End-of-Year" Specials right now, so do some online searching. Come back with questions and SB members will be happy to advise you.

Be sure to compare "apples to apples" some resort don't include taxes and fees in their advertised prices while others do - just make sure you know the accurate price and what you are getting.

Some destinations are cheap but it can be expensive to get there - and vice versa - so check things out fully.

Be done with it...COZ if you've never been....fits your needs exactly.

Cozumel after they open the southern reefs in December, Blackbeard's liveaboard is really cheap for some cool Bahamas diving, St Lawrence river has some really great diving close and easy to make a full week of it, Roatan or Utila are good options as well, Soccoro is another more mid range option for larger pelegics.

Thanks man just bought it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha love this stuff man
when you've done these kinda dives you just sit back and visualise!

the cold and the pain and the hardship ha ha ha ha ha gotta love it

Got any more????

While high and dry (in the middle of some of the most interesting diving anywhere) I would suggest that you get yourself a copy of David Rosenthal's "Scuba Diving the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY" It isn't what one might think if going just by the title, it is a fun read...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom