Where to dive end Jan/begin Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest the ribbon reefs. yongala is very dependent on weather conditions and trips can be cancelled - particularly at that time of year. Ribbon reefs are very reliable but still amazing. And a much much better experience than the outer reefs off cairns. Well worth taking the extra time and $ to dive ribbon reefs over outer reef. Also you will lose a day travelling between cairns and townsville/ayr for yongala.

ningaloo would cost you an absolute fortune to get across to for only a couple of days. I would suggest going to the coral sea as a cheaper (and better) option, although looks like you can't make coral sea anyway.

out of 5 people i personally know who have been to dive the Yongala 3 have been cancelled.

there are strong currents around the area apparently and obviously it's cyclone season in summer, so that's another reason to be careful about booking

also, don't forget that sydney will *hopefully* have a navy wreck which is divable then, if not, there is the HMAS Brisbane at the sunshine coast which is diveable now and apparently really good :) the sunchine coast is fairly easily accessible from sydney and only an 1.5 hr flight.

I'll be in merimbula at that time. It's lovely around that time of year. Check it out.

Going January/ February because in Taiwan, thats sort of our christmas break. Otherwise, its hard to get manager approval for extended break. I know it sucks weather wise, but thats what I get for working in Asian country. I'll keep a watch out for sydney weather conditions during this time too. Thanks

Normally conditions in Sydney and surrounds are good for diving at that time of year. Viz is better in winter but ambient temp, water temp tend to be good and we seldom miss a dive because of weather conditions. There are a fair number of critters available then as well

You could take a drive up the coast from Sydney, stopping in a couple of places such as SW Rocks to dive Fish Rock Cave, if you don't mind a lot of driving you could make it up to Byron Bay, then fly back to Sydney from the Gold Coast or Brisbane - there's also plenty to do along the way other than diving. Would give you some idea of at least part of the country without spending the whole time in airports.

To give you an idea, I spent nearly a month in Australia back in 2006 - think it worked out at 4 -5 days Sydney area, 2-3 days Uluru/ Red Centre, 9 days Cairns/ Townsville inc a 3d/2n Mike Ball liveaboard (and a couple of days waiting to dive the Yongala but ultimately cancelled), and 10 days Western Australia. At least 2 days were spent in transit. It was worth it but there was a lot of travelling involved. With 10 days I would focus on one, or possibly two, areas only.

Hi Cath... haven't seen you for a bit! Hope all is well with you! You going to Invade the Rock again this year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom