Where to dive end Jan/begin Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EBD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be landing down in sydney friday morning end of january 2011 and staying about ten days, and currently thinking of places to dive during that time. I know its not the best time of year to come but its what I managed. Anyways, I found the cod hole and coral sea liveaboards but unless I manage to get in on their last minute special I think it is too pricey for my budget. I think a trip to the yongala wreck would be fun but was wondering what other dive sites are there nearby that I can possibly join in for 1-3 days.

Since I need to fly up to Cairns, I also thought of the possibility of heading out west but don't know how conditions and prices are there in Jan/Feb as well. Maybe another option would be to skip cairns and dive instead at the ningaloo reefs. Any suggestions on a good scuba diving that can be done. Thanks all.

Well there is decent diving all around Australia. 10 days isn't a lot of time to get around such a massive country and fit it in with restrictions on dive/ flight limitations.

You probably need to decide exactly where you want to go and plan around that! Remember it will basicly take a day to connect flights to get from Sydney to Ningaloo or Cairns

Well I was thinking of visiting yongala and then heading to cairns afterwards for a 1/2 day trip out on the Outer Reef but I heard mixed opinions on those areas. Plus I know that Jan/Feb is the wet season and visibility can be not that great. What I want to know is where to go at this time of year? I think I have enough time to take a flight for 3 -5 days of scuba diving.

If you are going to Cairns, then the trips that visit the Cod Hole etc are definately the best. Taka is the budget boat and more affordable as it doesnt offer the frills and luxary of Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom.

Cairns Live Aboard Dive Trips With Taka To The Cod Hole And Coral Sea

You cant do half day trips to the Reef sue to the distance. There are a few trips to places like Green Island which you can dive but its rubbish.

Plenty of good day trips and even though it is seasonally in the monsoon season, it may not be bad weather, so leave booking until closer to see how condiditons are. Day trips are easier to get on than live aboards which do boo up in advance. Again, we publish weather and reeef reports on te hFacebook site. Its faster and easier to update there rather than continually updateing teh web site. (Login to Face book and search for Aquapro Dive Services)

Cairns Day Diving Trips to the Great Barrier Reef

If you do want a good 2 or 3 day trip to some nice sites on the Outer Reef then there are also some good budget boats available. Kangaroo Explorer is teh loer priced, but agaian stil lgood sites. Then look at Scubapro or Ocean Quest.

Cairns Live Aboard Over Night Dive Trips To The Outer Barrier Reef, Cod Hole And Coral Sea.

I replied to your PM about standby rates. These are put up on our Facebook site when we receive notification from opreators - usually a week prior to departure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Definately make the Ribbon Reefs your first choice if you can and schedule around it.

Spoilsport and Spirit of Freedom usually offer discounts closer to departure too.

January is a bit hit and miss weather wise as winds are changeable during this period but normally only itineraries to Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea are affected.

Have a great trip!

Ningaloo is a bit impractical to do from Sydney if you're only looking to go for a couple of days, though not impossible. Between the Qantas and SkyWest flight schedules, it'll take the better part of the day to get up there from Sydney and another day or an overnight on the redeye to get back. It's doable as a weekend/long weekend trip if you're already in Perth and don't have to deal with cross-country flights and time zone differences, but from Sydney in a few days? Wouldn't recommend it.

If you were to head to WA for a week, you could fly in to Perth and then up to Exmouth (Ningaloo), dive for a few days, spend another day in town to degas, fly back to Perth, head out with one of the local dive ops to Rottnest for a day, have a day seeing Perth then fly back to Sydney.

Unless you are locked into doing the GBR there are other good options for diving in OZ.. South West Rocks .. fishrock cave is good that time of year. I can highly recommend Jon and his setup.

dive@fishrock.com.au

Solitary Islands get a fair number of Tropicals as well as Mantas.

Anenomie Bay is and amazing dive.

Jervis Bay and Port Stephens are great dive destinations and Sydney has some great dives that can be done as shore dives with amazing creatures, colour and life. Shore dives make diving here very affordable. underwater.com.au | Article | Sydney, Above and Below

There is more to diving in Australia than the GBR especially if time and money are limited!

i was also going to suggest Jervis bay and Seal rocks.... as well as sydney! there is some great diving to be had in summer (although winter conditions are in fact better)

Frogdive in sydney do 4 or 5 boat dives a weekend and there are also tonnes of shore dives.

I've been up to the barrier reef in March and the vis wasn't awesome, but it certainly wasn't terrible either.... 10-15m?

Wow. Thanks all for your input. Coral Sea is most likely not going to be an option since I arrive in Sydney the morning the last one of the three operators (Take) departs and I really don't want to be flying around back and forth to visit Sydney again once I depart. The 4 day trip to the Ribbon reef aboard the SoF and Mike Ball is enticing and will check back later in January for wait list possibilities.

If to choose between the Yongala and the Cod Hole, which is more memorable? I was thinking maybe the Yongala and a 2 day liveaboard with deap sea divers just to get a feel for the GBR in Australia. But Fish Rock Dive center in center also looks to have some pretty good diving and will check them out too as another option. thanks everyone again for all the input for a scuba noob.

I went in Australia last year for 3 weeks, before to decide where to go I've asked the australians.
I've been told not to go to queesnland : NSW may be much better ( Ariving at Sydney), this was a very good advice. They had floods in QSD and huge fires in Vic .
I mean, I don't understand why you absolutely want to go to QSD in January ? This is he worst period to go there !
Of course, if you like it hot and wet...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom