where to dive at whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanmacneil8448

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all me and my bud are goin to whytecliff next weekend i need to know where to dive i know you all know where all the best spots are at whytecliff so fill me in i've only been once

ryanmacneil8448:
hi all me and my bud are goin to whytecliff next weekend i need to know where to dive i know you all know where all the best spots are at whytecliff so fill me in i've only been once
I haven't dove it in around 5 years, but my favourite spot was just around the corner to the right. I guess it's what most divers call the "cut". At around 60 feet, there was a nice area of wall covered with zoanthids and white plumose anemones. I also liked hanging around with the seals in the shallows just before the daymarker. I don't know if they're still there. This was my favorite time of year to dive there because the vis was usually good and there was lots of light.

I haven't been there for a while either but there are two dives that I particularly like there. One is "the cut". You can park your car up top beside the toilets and there is a path leading down into the cut. (just look around). Start *in* the cut and dive out of it to the the left. Drop off to about (if memory serves) about 60-70ft and you'll see some big anemones. the dive is nice at this depth but you should go slow because the distance is short and you'll have to ascend to about 55ft before long. You can cross all the way over to the Island at 55ft but you'll need about 15 minutes. If you don't have the time then keep the shoreline on your left and ascend to about 40 ft and just continue along that wall. Go slow and you'll finish the dive in the little bay. Don't follow the temptation to go deeper to avoid the left hand turn there. It's about a million feet deep out there and all you'll do is end up having to surface well outside of the bay and swim back.

If you decide to cross over the island then make your depth 50-55ft and look for big square anchor buoys. There used to be a marina there and the anchors are still on the bottom. If you see them then you're in the right spot. You can use your compass to find the island or just keep swimming along the 50-55ft line and you'll get there. The island is more interesting than the other wall for the last part of the dive.

The other dive I like is to swim around the island. Just start on one side and go all the way around it. How long that takes depends on how fast you go but taking an hour for it isn't unusual if you go slow. The bottom around the island is deep and the walls are steep so keep an eye on your depth.

One word of caution. If you dive to the right of the cut stay close to the bottom. You'll find yourself very close the ferry traffic. This dive is nice there too (especially deeper) but you have to be aware to turn the dive soon enough and surface around the cut again instead of anywhere near the shipping lane.

R..

Diver0001:
One word of caution. If you dive to the right of the cut stay close to the bottom. You'll find yourself very close the ferry traffic. This dive is nice there too (especially deeper) but you have to be aware to turn the dive soon enough and surface around the cut again instead of anywhere near the shipping lane.

R..

May want to consider staying a little off the bottom. Since the bottom is around 700 feet. :D

Rob, I think you need to come dive at Whytecliff and refresh your memory.

Bill

Lightning Fish:
May want to consider staying a little off the bottom. Since the bottom is around 700 feet. :D

Bill

so i should take nitrox with me to increase my bottom time at 700 ft? my RDP doesnt go that high anybody know what the no deco time is for 700 ft? :lol3:

ryanmacneil8448:
so i should take nitrox with me to increase my bottom time at 700 ft? my RDP doesnt go that high anybody know what the no deco time is for 700 ft? :lol3:
Well, at 700ft, you'll run into oxygen toxicity in both air and nitrox... I think it's trimix you'll need to look at, and it won't be a non-deco dive. :)

Lightning Fish:

Bill

Yeah. You're right. The point I was trying to make is to not surface on that side and plan the dive to you swim back around the corner first.

R..

Diver0001:
You'd have to swim pretty far to get anywhere near ferry traffic.

Back
Top Bottom