Where to buy my gear (and/or what brand to get)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaiser442:
Now, obviously this is an extremely subjective area... but there are definitely some 'better' and some 'worse' companies. For instance, I've never seen anyone give Scubapro anything but a rave review.... and I've heard that Tusa is the worst out there.

Sorry to hijack the thread but there is nothing wrong with Tusa. It is NOT high end gear, but for normal recreational diving it offers a good bang for the buck. You will not die if you use a Tusa reg.

Sorry, I hear this a lot, with nothing to back it up.

Kaiser442:
Looking back, I didn't ask a very answer-able question...

let me try again:

I'm basically trying to figure out which brands are the absolute best (For those that missed it in the original post, this is ONLY about regulators. I have everything else).

People love to say (I think it's already been said in this thread) that it's user preference - pick the one that works best for you. Though I appreciate the good intentions, that is useless information because I've only tried a few cheapie rental regs. Nobody (even my expensive local shop) is going to set up 15 tanks with all the different regulator brands and models for me to try in their pool (THAT would be GREAT).

Of the different regs I've used in my brief experience, the only one that made me think "wow.. I like the way this one breathes" was the Aqua Lung - but as I pointed out, the only way I can afford one of those is through LP... and I'm a little uneasy about buying from them.

Now, obviously this is an extremely subjective area... but there are definitely some 'better' and some 'worse' companies. For instance, I've never seen anyone give Scubapro anything but a rave review.... and I've heard that Tusa is the worst out there.

Is there a good source for brand/model comparisons to help a noob pick a good regulator?

I feel like the only option I have is to find as many opinions (and preferably real studies with computer breath testing etc.. I found one study like this online but it only covered a few regs), take my best guess, and whip out the credit card.

I dunno.. maybe I should just buy a cheapie until I learn more - but I'd kinda like to buy a really nice higher-end setup... Something that is better than all that rental gear, you know?

Well in that case, here are the "best" (in no particular order):

Aqua Lung
Apeks
Mares
ScubaPro

How these different products work for YOU is what counts, though. There's a reason everyone likes to tell you "it's about preference" and it's most likely because that's an accurate statement. For example: if you're prone to postdiving headaches, a fancy pants super-duty-easy-breathing Aqua Lung may not be the best just cus they breath extremely dry. Not to knock Aqua Lung; I dive a Legend LX Supreme and wouldn't trade it for anything. Your local dive shop really shouldn't have a problem with hooking up different regs to one tank if they really want to sell you their product. Most shops will at least have higher end stuff available for rent and they should let you try that in the pool.

You'd also be surprised at the customer service from ScubaToys. I've even heard stories of them letting customers test products before buying, but don't quote me....

Once again, patience and good luck.

There's no best reg; any decent reg from a reputable company will work well. People agonize over reg choice; it's understandable because we tend to view our regs as critical to our safety, but the truth is that BC and/or exposure suit design and fit will make a much more noticable impact on your diving, unless you buy a really sub-standard reg. Going to scubatoys is a great idea, and I'll bet they have lots of stuff you can try in their pool before buying, so go on a day when you have some time and plan on getting wet. They very well may stock aqualung regs, but can't advertise them on their site. Same with scubapro; I know they sell those, but not online. This is the nice thing about your location, you can buy over the counter from them. Don't expect a huge discount on SP regs; usually dealers are limited to a 10% discount. But, maybe since the MK16 is now discontinued you could get one at a big discount. One thing for sure is that you're not going to get bad advice from them.

Buy the best that you can afford. Ultimately, magazine reviews (which can be bought off), friends recommendations (which are highly subjective), LDS suggestions (which can be based on what they want to sell) and personal in water trial will have to be factored into the equation. Doing this will ensure that you probably will not make bad choices but only time and experience will ensure that you make better choices. Keep in mind, that your needs and preferences will change over time. Best wishes and welcome to the sport.

I am fortunate enough to have ScubaToys as my LDS. Call or visit Larry for some useful advice.

Kaiser442:
Looking back, I didn't ask a very answer-able question...

QUOTE]

Scubapro regs performance is quite legendary ! I would attest to it.
However I believe what you have heard about Tusa is not quite accurate. Tusa used to manufacture identical to Scubapro and in fact Scubapro service kits can be used for some of their models

SStrecker:
Buy the best that you can afford. Ultimately, magazine reviews (which can be bought off),
That's an easy accusation, but may not stand up to scrutiny.

Zeagle hasn't advertised in Scuba Mag for years, and yet their regs continue to get top marks from ScubaLab.

I think the folks at ScubaLab try to be as objective as possible, my problem with them is their own experience leads them to sometimes faulty conclusions. Two that come to mind is their preference for jacket BCs over backinflates and BP/Ws, and that their fin tests are about speed and shalom tests instead of effectiveness using low-silt kicks.

Your relationship with you LDS is more important than your gear choices, imo. Go in ScubaToys and talk to Larry. He will steer you right.

If I was within driving distance of ScubaToys , that would be my LDS
After reading all the freely given help here at ScubaBoard by Larry, I would not be afraid to ask his opinion on anything, and, I bet you can try it out in ther pool first.
And ...he will match (close enough) LP prices with your 10% ScubaBoard discount

Do we need to say more ???

DB

KelpCoasters:
For example: if you're prone to postdiving headaches, a fancy pants super-duty-easy-breathing Aqua Lung may not be the best just cus they breath extremely dry.

Now that you mention it - I am prone to headaches (though I think a lot of it is because I've been breathing too shallow trying to control my bouyancy)... guess I'll mention this when I go to scubatoys.

Anyone try those bio-filter things you can add water to to increase humidity? Looks like a good idea (though it also looks like they would get in the way in the pics I've seen... kinda awkward the way they attach to the first stage).

The replies since I reworded have been great everyone - thanks!!!

I know old-timers can get very tired of the same questions being asked over and over - I appreciate the patience etc.

Kaiser442:
Now that you mention it - I am prone to headaches (though I think a lot of it is because I've been breathing too shallow trying to control my bouyancy)... guess I'll mention this when I go to scubatoys.
You could also go with a cold water reg like the sherwood blizzard that has those vanes that collect moisture. My son has one that I use occaisionally while he's in the desert(Texas not Iraq) and it seems to give me less dry mouth than my oceanic delta 3. Now there's a good reg although it's been replaced by the delta 4, which I'm not overly impressed with. Larry awhile back had a couple leftover titanium 3's that he was letting go at a really good price. Don't know if he still has them.

Anyone try those bio-filter things you can add water to to increase humidity? Looks like a good idea (though it also looks like they would get in the way in the pics I've seen... kinda awkward the way they attach to the first stage).

Another failure point. Thought about it myself along with a swivel for my second until I saw my instructors swivel leak.:11: Not that important as a proper fitting mouthpiece.:D

The replies since I reworded have been great everyone - thanks!!!
You're welcome! Don't lock yourself into one brand I have A sherwood brut(my first reg and now my pony reg cause I trust it in a critical situation). An aqualung sea2(which I keep as a backup second stage the first from it is for my argon bottle) An oceanic delta 3(my primary) and enough parts to put together another reg if I use one of my sherwood shadow octos.And my son's blizzard. I have all of these due to price, opportunity, and need. Would I trust all of these as a primary? Yes. Do they all breathe well? Yes. But the delta breathes best followed by the Blizzard, next the Brut, and finally the aqualung. Granted it's older and reg technology has come along way since it was new but again it's all a matter of personal preference and budget. One thing I would advise though is to get one that's enviromentally sealed. :05: You may not always want to dive in warm water or in crystal clear conditions. If you can afford it spend the money now rather than having it retrofitted later. Of course most good ones now are but be sure to ask.

I know old-timers can get very tired of the same questions being asked over and over - I appreciate the patience etc.
Have a nice day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom