Where to Attach Boltsnap for SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for guidance on where to attach a boltsnap for clipping off an SPG. I have watched a number of YT videos and they seem to be split 50/50. Some attach the boltsnap to the hose itself (on rubber below the crimped metal), while the others attach somewhere on the metal connection. I thought I remember reading that you shouldn't have a metal-to-metal connection when attaching snaps.

Note: I will be using spool line to attach the snap.

I go to the gauge... I want less hanging past the bolt snap, and I can still service it,
Using spool line is not a metal to metal connection

Attachments

• 20220606_112948.jpg
    20220606_112948.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 144
I usually attach at grooves on the hoses. It keeps wiggle at minimum. Also I can poke my finger thru eyelet of the snap and still enough material goes between my fingers while SPG sits out of my fingers. However connection always made with the line, therefore it can be cut with line cutter if needed.

EF283EFC-21A4-44FC-9FA0-5C4CA25643EB.jpeg

I use a smallish Zip-Tie on the second groove between the gauge and hose (not tight).

I usually attach at grooves on the hoses. It keeps wiggle at minimum. Also I can poke my finger thru eyelet of the snap and still enough material goes between my fingers while SPG sits out of my fingers. However connection always made with the line, therefore it can be cut with line cutter if needed.

View attachment 726884
I like that approach but doesn't the line prevent the gauge from swiveling?

I like that approach but doesn't the line prevent the gauge from swiveling?
No, because swiveling happens somewhere further/upper. Also if you diving back mount and once you set it beginning of the dive it won’t move easily because it is pressurized, so every time you look at it it will be facing to you.

8C17BD4F-70A4-46F3-91B0-2590411D4F77.jpeg

I'd recommend using zipties to try attaching the boltsnap in a few different locations, to see what is most ergonomic to your hand, in your gloves. Once you pick the most comfy spot, tie the boltsnap on with nylon line, and burn the ends.

For me, diving in cold water with either 5mm wetgloves or drygloves, I like a huge boltsnap. And the most comfortable location is similar to the photo @Rayk posted -- but on my SPG, that is where the swivel is located. I don't find that the nylon line affects its ability to swivel, and the swivel does not seem to damage the line either. Or if it does, it must do it very slowly, since the last time I redid this was about 100 dives ago, and the cave line still looks new.

I disagree that the knot must be located in a groove to keep the boltsnap from wiggling. A properly-tied knot on the rubber hose will stay put. The boltsnap on my regulator hose has never moved, and it's been on there a long time. Achim's video on YouTube demonstrates how to tie a boltsnap onto various pieces of gear, it's all the same knot:

image_67204865.JPG

By the way spear fishing/dyneema lines are much stronger and last longer then cave lines. Tackles (or tacklings) I made years ago still intact.

Back
Top Bottom