Where the heck IS the DIR III video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea,
I like Irvine - he's funny - but gets the job done and makes his point, and yup, I know people like that!

Hmm,
I can't believe with all the DIR-ers on this MB that no one knows where these CAN be found, for download on ANY of the DIR web sites!

Someone must have them! Wonder why GUE doesn't offer them on their web site? Thats odd...

????

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Hmm,
I can't believe with all the DIR-ers on this MB that no one knows where these CAN be found, for download on ANY of the DIR web sites!

Someone must have them! Wonder why GUE doesn't offer them on their web site? Thats odd...

????

South Florida Dive Journal

the download links don't appear to be active anymore, but perhaps you can email him.

If you've seen them, you'll know why the marketing arm of GUE probably chose not to "carry" them:D

there is a pretty exhaustive set of DIR/Hogarthian website links here but I haven't seen the videos you're asking for in a while

Thanks S-A Diver,
Mucho appreciate that!

Anyone have the DIR I & II vids now (not audio)?

I'm also looking for Vids I & II.

Would it be legal to digitize these videos and put them up somewhere for download?

If so, I'd be willing to do it, if somebody had them and wanted to send them to me.

Hosting them would be another story, though. I could probably host them, but I can't guarantee how long I'd be willing to leave them up, depending on the bandwidth requirements. I'm only on a cable modem, after all. And I'd like to reserve some of that bandwidth for me. :eek:ut:

Would it be legal to digitize these videos and put them up somewhere for download?
I'm pretty sure that would be a copyright infringement. You may want to contact INTERPOL and see what they have to say about it. If you go ahead and do it, and it turns out to be illegal, you will be talking to them anyway. Those guys are nothing to mess with either, just like the IRS.
Now as far as the vids go, the sites that I got them from no longer have them available for download. I can understand why as it took an hour to download the DIR III vid even on a DSL line.These things have to be sucking up bandwidth so much that the web hosters are removing them. I am trying to find a way to compress them to send to people but they won't compress any farther than 4%. Even with WinZip 8.1. So I will keep trying and if I find a way to do it, I will get a list and send them to anyone who wants them.

So who here exactly should be talking to INTERPOL? :wink:

It is possible to make a video without copywrighting it. With the way everybody's been talking so freely about downloading them, I wondered if maybe these videos hadn't been. Hence my question.

Any publication, whether it's a photograph, video, film, short story, poem, etc. is automatically copyrighted by federal law (in the U.S. anyway). What this means is that the original aritist, author, director, etc. has the right to sue someone who plagiarizes their work.

However, they'd have to be motivated first.

For example, if you made a video on How to Tie Your Shoelaces Correctly, and the following week you found that Stephen Spielberg had taken your video word-for-word and scene-for-scene and made a gazillion dollars selling tickets to it in the theaters, you'd be rightfully upset and demand at least a portion - if not all - of the profits, since it was "your" video.

However, if you wrote a short story and it was passed around on the Internet (complete with your name as the author), you'd be flattered, not wanting to sue someone.

Is it the money that makes the difference? Well, yes... But that's not the biggie... It's the idea of getting credit for your work when credit's due.

My point is that the purpose of DIR is not to sell videos... It's to promote a safer form of diving. Likely, the free distribution of these videos would be encouraged by GI3. However, if someone was making bootleg copies of it and selling them at $20 each, then GI3 or whoever might not be too happy about it. Either they'd want a cut of the profits or they'd insist that their material be distributed at no charge; their choice. Of course, they're less likely to do this anyway, since they sorta "get credit" for the video simply because they are in them. :)

Okay, assuming that you actually did commit the crime of "copyright infringement," (better defined as "ticking the author of the material off" than anything else) then likely the very first (and possibly only) action that would be taken against you is that GI3 would contact you (probably through a not-so-polite email) and tell you to "cease and desist" ("cut it out"). Most people simply "cease and desist" immediately, and no other action is taken. Only in the cases where the offender says, "screw you" and "I'm taking all the money too" does the problem go to court. Even then, GI3 would have to prove that it was his video, etc. (That he owned the rights and all.) That can be an expensive process, and simply put, if there's no money motivation (like the recovery of the gazillions of dollars of profit from Stephen Speilberg) then the copyright "owner" isn't very likely to spend the time, effort, and money "protecting" his interests.

Bottom line: Distribute the material. If it ticks off GI3, you'll find out. Never tell anyone that it's YOUR video... Always place credit where credit's due. That way, you're unlikely to tick off the wrong people.

Then if it DOES tick him off that you distributed it, then (after making sure that it's really GI3 and not your buddy playing a practical joke) simply apologize and "cease and desist." If the owner of the material asks you not to give it out, then from an ethical perspective, you really need to "not give it out." After all, it is HIS material. Simply apologize and abide by his wishes.

...But most of all, don't try to make a profit on something that isn't yours... And that should pretty much keep your tail out of the grinder. :D

DO NOT talk to INTERPOL or the FBI or the CIA or the Supreme Court or God or whoever. All of those guys will simply err on the side of conservatism and tell you, "If it's not yours, don't ever give it out." Of course, by strict definition, that means that you can't watch the ball game with your buds either, as you're committing "copyright infringement." Your kid also needs to go to jail for showing his buddy the latest cool baseball card, and of course, you can't drive your car, since it says, "Chevrolet" on it and you are NOT "Chevrolet." It's one of those areas where it's not black or white, but some shade of gray. My recommendation: Distribute the video, help promote better diving skills, and possibly save a life. If someone contacts you and tells you to "cease and desist," then make sure they're serious first (and have a right to tell you to cease and desist), then abide by their wishes, since it's their material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom