Where should I start to approach the rebreather world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity what would be your prep time if you dived tomorrow:
  • What do you do the day before and how long does it take?
  • What has to be done on the day of the dive and how much prep time you need?
  • What do you need to do on the boat before the dive?
I am quite meticulous and wouldn’t skip anything but I would like to hear it from someone experienced because I think I’ll buy one when I have more experience.

Do you use a JJ?
Day before: top off if needed then analyze gases in all cylinders (dil, O2, BOs) and build the CCR per build checklist. ~1.5 hrs.
Day of: assuming my truck is already packed from the night before with all my gear? nothing
Presplash: Gases on, prebreathe and presplash checks, 15mins.

Meg or Kiss, no JJ for me, but its not fundamentally different between units.

Day before: top off if needed then analyze gases in all cylinders (dil, O2, BOs) and build the CCR per build checklist. ~1.5 hrs.
Day of: assuming my truck is already packed from the night before with all my gear? nothing
Presplash: Gases on, prebreathe and presplash checks, 15mins.

Meg or Kiss, no JJ for me, but its not fundamentally different between units.
Unless you are cave diving with the JJ, then add another 30 or so minutes to get all of the crap out of the head... It was not the right choice for the GUE rig, but alas, politics plays a lot more in some decisions than logic...

Unless you are cave diving with the JJ, then add another 30 or so minutes to get all of the crap out of the head... It was not the right choice for the GUE rig, but alas, politics plays a lot more in some decisions than logic...
What would have been a better choice for the GUE rig in your opinion?

What do you dive for CCR out of curiosity?

If you need a "tube" eCCR with CE, backmounted CLs, and worldwide distribution then the JJ was your huckleberry (although the IQSUB offerings could potentially work as well). The RB80 was never going to fill the niche a CCR can

Personally the Fathom would be better, but its a one guy show, no CE, no global distribution and didnt really exist when GUE was in their unit trials. (Meg 2.7 and Kiss sidewinder are my units)

SF2 would have been the obvious choice as it is the CCR equivalent of their RB-80 and would have fit in all of their existing racks. It literally would have been "put the SF2 in the middle, strap on an O2 bottle and go".

The issue is the bmcl's which ISC doesn't offer with the Meg and the OTS lungs make the hog loop very difficult. KISS doesn't have CE, Fathom wasn't around at the time but also doesn't have CE, X-CCR would have worked well, Liberty would have worked well, but the JJ was a political game, and unless you're bound to GUE, it doesn't matter to you. Many have been using that rack concept long before that rig came out.

SF2 would have been the obvious choice as it is the CCR equivalent of their RB-80 and would have fit in all of their existing racks. It literally would have been "put the SF2 in the middle, strap on an O2 bottle and go".
Unless you finally admit the trim and WOB of a CL on your butt isnt really ideal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom