Where should I start to approach the rebreather world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Takes about 30min to build my rEvo the day before a dive, I have 4 sets of canisters which are already filled just grab one with the amount use appropriate for the dive, or if needed dump one and fill only takes a few minutes, my gas are mixed well in advance.

The fact remains the rEvo III is one of the most innovative rebreathers on the market even now nearly 10 years since the rEvo III came out, the twin canister rotation system is just pure genius, there is nothing like rMs and it's scrubber time prediction algorithm, does a better job than any current CO2 analyser used at predicting and detecting scrubber break through or failure. One of the few rebreathers to have a fully redundant PO2 monitoring system with the 5 cells and two separate monitoring devices that don't share cells . Quick and easy to prepare and clean, small compact low profile. All the other back mounted vertical can style rebreathers are just variations of a theme.

If I was looking today at a rebreather (which I am not, I will probably get 20 years of diving out of the rEvo) I would probably be looking at the Optima back mount along with the rEvo, and probably would still go with the rEvo for the twin scrubber system and rMs.

Revo is also a very nice post dive clean up. The lungs are super easy to mop up and dry out.

Takes about 30min to build my rEvo the day before a dive, I have 4 sets of canisters which are already filled just grab one with the amount use appropriate for the dive, or if needed dump one and fill only takes a few minutes, my gas are mixed well in advance.
The gas mixing, scrubber fills, bailouts checks, battery checks (ensuring the lights, strobe, heater, Nerd are all charged), verifying bailouts, plus ensuring you’ve got all the kit for "tomorrow’s" dive — drysuit packed, dry gloves dry, boat bag has the pocket stuff.

All takes time. I always allow 2 hours even if it takes less.

Being under time pressure is a sure way of screwing up.

Revo is also a very nice post dive clean up. The lungs are super easy to mop up and dry out.
Even come with their own cloth :)

Unless you are cave diving with the JJ, then add another 30 or so minutes to get all of the crap out of the head... It was not the right choice for the GUE rig, but alas, politics plays a lot more in some decisions than logic...

In 150 dives (12 cave dives) I never had an issue with removing the head. I think it depends on which cave you're diving (and restrictions).

I'm not telling that there are no issues, but it's not true that if you dive a JJ in a cave that it would take you 30 minutes to remove/clean the crap out of the head.

To be a little picky, there’s no issues diving a rebreather in a mixed ‘team’. You just give them your bailout, first the hose then the cylinder.

Then charge them the cost of the fill plus putting the cylinder back into test :)

No, it's not that simple ;-)

Given your circumstances I'd get a JJ. You can dive it in GUE config and then if you decide that a 55Kg super complicated monster on your back with a single failure point that will dump all your dil and all your bailout if it goes (the shonky flexible manifold) and a silly long hose stowed under the loop is not for you then you can dive it in standard config :)

The longhose is not always under my loop. When I did CCR1 we started the dive with longhose under the loop. When my buddy had a CCR failure an was using his OC backup regulator, I did learn to put my longhose above my loop.

(When I dive with an oc diver, my longhose is also above my loop. If I want be to be able to donate as fast as possible, my longhose is above my loop. )

No, it's not that simple ;-)

The longhose is not always under my loop. When I did CCR1 we started the dive with longhose under the loop. When my buddy had a CCR failure an was using his OC backup regulator, I did learn to put my longhose above my loop.

(When I dive with an oc diver, my longhose is also above my loop. If I want be to be able to donate as fast as possible, my longhose is above my loop. )
Can you not reach your bailout regulator and pull it out faster than locating your longhose reg, unclipping it (do you use breakaways like sidemount divers?), flicking it over your head…. As for it being under the loop… FFS

With a longhose wrapped over the loop, doesn’t it interfere with the the loop especially when turning your head?

Why bother with a round neck routing at all? If you must have a longhose then just bungee it to the stage cylinder in the same way as sidemounters do.

(Happy to leave this subject to the other thread as they’re still not making a convincing case for the longhose neck loop on CCR either)

In 150 dives (12 cave dives) I never had an issue with removing the head. I think it depends on which cave you're diving (and restrictions).

I'm not telling that there are no issues, but it's not true that if you dive a JJ in a cave that it would take you 30 minutes to remove/clean the crap out of the head.
Let's check back in after 150 cave dives, especially in some relatively less travelled areas where things are raining down from the ceiling or you're going through restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom