Where should I start to approach the rebreather world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im telling you what I see regularly around here whether you like it or not. I never said every revo diver looks like crap. But when you see so many crappy revo divers locally it laves a bad taste in your mouth. Talk to a lot of north Florida cave divers and they’ll probably tell you most revo divers in the caves aren’t impressive. Of course this is a generalization, but one arising from witnessed fact
Yeah, seems like a disproportionate amount of divers I see on Revos in cave country look like total crap, especially compared to a wide variety of other units. Which I always find surprising because the majority of Revo divers I see locally look quite skilled in the water. (They're still huge fanboys though :D)

Im telling you what I see regularly around here whether you like it or not. I never said every revo diver looks like crap. But when you see so many crappy revo divers locally it laves a bad taste in your mouth. Talk to a lot of north Florida cave divers and they’ll probably tell you most revo divers in the caves aren’t impressive. Of course this is a generalization, but one arising from witnessed fact
One day I'd like to witness that first hand. (Diving in Florida that is)

IF those divers are Floridians and learned locally then this really doesn't say much about the training.

However, one would wager they had crap core skills before they moved to CCR. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Knowing what good looks like is vital to becoming good. If you're diving with mediocre people you're very likely to be happy with the bar set low...

Wouldn't it be great if the CCR instructor could evaluate them and tell them to go away and sort out their core skills then come back. Trouble is they'd find someone less picky and nothing changes.

sad but true.... @Dsix36 is one of the rare exceptions, though I do tend to attribute that to quality of instructors more than the unit itself, and that instructor is not usually Sotis...
I'm sorry to say we exported that particular individual to N. FL. Their standards have never been high.

Wouldn't it be great if the CCR instructor could evaluate them and tell them to go away and sort out their core skills then come back. Trouble is they'd find someone less picky and nothing changes.
When the actual instructor has sloppy skills, sloppy trim, AND a high and mighty holier than thou attitude, that's not a recipe for success.

sad but true.... @Dsix36 is one of the rare exceptions, though I do tend to attribute that to quality of instructors more than the unit itself, and that instructor is not usually Sotis...
I'd put Capt Jim in the group of rare exceptions
Yeah, seems like a disproportionate amount of divers I see on Revos in cave country look like total crap, especially compared to a wide variety of other units. Which I always find surprising because the majority of Revo divers I see locally look quite skilled in the water. (They're still huge fanboys though :D)
I think the issue is in CC we get alot of Revo divers that are mostly diving OW and come down maybe once a year to dive the caves, and don't bother cleaning up their skills

I think the issue is in CC we get alot of Revo divers that are mostly diving OW and come down maybe once a year to dive the caves, and don't bother cleaning up their skills
That goes for all divers, OC or CCR

Practice makes perfect. Extended layoffs never improves skills.

let me fix that for you.
Practice makes permanent, only perfect practice makes perfect.
And continual practice keeps the skills up.

Do you really think most CCR instructors would allow a MOD1 student to dive with 1 x big steel cylinder as their BO? I would expect most to require a single AL40 for MOD1 BO. Possibly allow an AL80, if the student has one they want to use.

In other words, is "whatever you are using for your OC dives, those will be fine for CCR bailout" really likely to be true in all cases?
Not in all cases, sure. However, I find it very unlikely that someone doing OC 60m dives doesn't already have access to 2x AL80 whether rented or owned as deco tanks. As for a big steel as bailout, if the weighting considerations made sense then sure. If I had a Mod 1 student who dived almost exclusively in drysuit, then a 12L steel would make sense as a bailout. 15 and 20L, sure thats a different kettle of fish.

As for AL40 vs AL80, I train all my students on an 80, then they can use whatever they like afterwards. Train hard, fight easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom