Where on mask do *you* attach your snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When needed, the snorkel is on the left. Slips inbetween the mask strap....when not in use..it is in my pocket. You never need a snorkel at depth. Just adds drag. Become a pain in the neck in current and is just plain bothersome overall. I just whip it out when needed...:wink:

When needed, the snorkel is on the left. Slips inbetween the mask strap....when not in use..it is in my pocket. You never need a snorkel at depth. Just adds drag. Become a pain in the neck in current and is just plain bothersome overall. I just whip it out when needed...:wink:
Unfortunately, if you are using a pocket snorkel, what you wind up with is a smallish diameter, abbreviated version of a really functional snorkel, that does not function anywhere near as well.

I mount mine on the right, it's out of the way of my inflator hose. I've never had a problem with my second stage and the snorkel.

We all did that in the old days ... there was a saying, "all air comes from the right."

How does it feel to be unintentionally retro?

We all did that in the old days ... there was a saying, "all air comes from the right."

How does it feel to be unintentionally retro?

At my age, unintentionally retro sounds a lot better than old fashioned:D

When Diving, I do not need a snorkel on my mask. My pocket snorkel serves the purpose just fine when needed. However if I am Snorkeling.. I have the conventional snorkel...Long surfaces swims...I make sure to use a boat :wink:.

If I do have to do a long swim. I am usually on my back...cruising to where I got to go. rough waters...that pocket snorkel works just fine. Providing I have enough gas, which I usually do...I am under the waves going to where I have to or waiting on the line until it is my turn to go up the ladder. A snorkel has its place. to each his/her own...:)

Unfortunately, if you are using a pocket snorkel, what you wind up with is a smallish diameter, abbreviated version of a really functional snorkel, that does not function anywhere near as well.

Thal: Take a look at the Aqualung Nautilus Travel Snorkle.

The tube diameter is quite large and the design is very simple.

It reminds me of a soft, flexible version of the Subapro snorkle I started out with 25 years ago.

After trying mine, I quite using anything else.

Aqua Lung Sport

That is the one I use..or use to use...kinda lost it somewhere between here and there....where can I find one of them again...no one in my area has them...

I don't know about you guys but I have not met a snorkel keeper I can move any where without difficulty. Can't imagine trying to get one back to just the right place it took me so long to find.
My solution was a snorkel that I can fold up (that is not marketed as such) and carry in a pocket that clips onto (and off of) a snorkel keeper that lives in the correct position (to snorkel) on mask strap.

I don't know about you guys but I have not met a snorkel keeper I can move any where without difficulty. Can't imagine trying to get one back to just the right place it took me so long to find.
My solution was a snorkel that I can fold up (that is not marketed as such) and carry in a pocket that clips onto (and off of) a snorkel keeper that lives in the correct position (to snorkel) on mask strap.

Hi redrover!

I'm using just a plain old silicon keeper, the kind you find in "save-a-dive" kits and on cheap snorkels at Walmart :D This moves easily on the mask strap I use, one of the "Slap Straps", you know the neoprene backing with velcro staps. It could be that the silicon keeper would have more resistance sliding on a rubber mask strap. The silicon keeper also wont work with some "modern" over-size snorkels like the one in my avatar pic, but is perfect with the old "J" snorkel I went back to.

I dive with a full hood these days, not the beanie in my picture (I get chilled easier due to my advancing years :D ), and currently wear the mask outside the hood.... I would really prefer to wear it with the mask under the hood, but when I do I lose the ability to attach the snorkel to the mask strap.... I'm toying with the idea of glueing a thin strip of neoprene on the out side of the hood in the correct position, sort of a built-in snorkel keeper.... :wink:

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom