Where is the best diving in PR and how does it compare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

full fin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Two questions to this post 1) where is the best diving in PR and 2) how does it compare to other good areas of the carib. For context, I have been to many of the more well-known carib places (e.g., Bonaire, Belize).

I am trying to decide between a trip to the Caymans (primarily for the diving) and a trip to PR (for topside activities and hopefully decent diving), but am wondering how much of a compromise PR would be.

I was thinking of diving out of Culebra, but suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

All my PR diving was off Fajardo and it was OK but I was told that the diving off Culebra is exceptional. That is second hand so take it for what it is worth. Personally, if you want a diving vacation you can do much better than PR. I enjoyed it enough as a mix of diving and topside activities.

Thanks. I searched through these boards and found some comments saying Culebra was amazing (especially for coral) but some comments which said there was little in the way of large fish live, which worried me a bit.

We took my two kids to Culebra for their first salt warm water dives. Diving was good, but not spectacular. Lots of shallow reef areas that make for some good snorkeling though.
They much preferred Bonaire when they went there a year later.

My gf and I returned to Culebra alone just a couple years ago, for a day trip, and snorkeling only snorkeling, when all the other diving was blown out on PR. I had to really fight to get in just one dive each in the Fajardo area, and on the south western coast that week. I realized the seas on the west end of Culebra would be sheltered, so we caught the ferry over for our last day in PR. Great snorkeling both times I was there!

We have also dived with Taino divers in Rincon one trip too, and we had a lot of fun. Good folks, but the marine life off of the island Dessechio where they usually go was less than spectacular. Awesome structure for exploring and swim thrus tho!

All in all PR is OK. Nothing all that spectacular but we would return. I do like the island, and especially the rain forest. Island is also the only one in the Caribbean we have been on that is large enough to have wildly different climates, north and south.

What I have heard is that diving in PR is very average unless you go to Mona Island or La Parguera. These two areas I was told were among the best with Mona island being the Galapagos and La Parguera wall being compared to Bloody bay wall. I have never been there so I would appreciate if the locals could weigh in on this.

Depends on what you're interested in....Culebra is a nice place with some great viz at select sites (Culebrita island with no run offs) Easy shallow diving with beautiful reef all around the island of Culebra....there are only two dive ops - suggest you research for the best experience suitable for your style. Topside very laid back...one of our favorite destinations because of this...awful if you're the shopping type of person. PM me if you want my opinion.

Desecheo is amazing. Very clear with a lot of life to see. Difficult to get there sometimes with the chop, but Taino is one of the best dive ops we've been with.

Parguera is great! Not much of a wall diver myself but still a great dive. Cachi and his team (Paradise I think?) were top notch as well.

Haven't tried to dive out of Fajardo or near Ponce...mixed reviews so have preferred the above. Have fun!

Bearkeley, thanks for the info. How would you describe the fish life at Culebra compared to other places you have been? For example, is it mostly smaller stuff or did you see much like rays/turtles/eels/sharks/etc.?

Decent size eels and a ton of rays....some turtles, but rare....no sharks (that we saw) or other large fish...a lot of larger angels and parrots....

I have gone to La Parguera for each of the past six years and will be going again after Christmas. The diving is pretty good and the top side life is a lot of fun as well. Every part of the island is different. I am already counting the days to my next trip!

We've only been to Puerto Rico once, so consider the "sampling" we've done.

We dove both Desecheo Island (out of Rincon for two days) and the La Parguera Wall (for one day). If we ever get back, our plan is to reverse the time committment at each site (La Parguera for two days, and Desecheo only for one), if not extend at LP for at least three days. We felt that the marine life and the structure on the LP Wall was much better in terms of variety, (as well as accessibility to the dive sites), than the island.

Back
Top Bottom