Where in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is what I'm looking for:

Nice Beach + Nice Pool + Great Snorkeling + NO Spring Break Crowd

I'm going with two kids on from 4/7 to 4/14 and was initially planning on Kauai, but heard from several people off line (non-divers) that Maui is better. I'm the only one who dives...not a lot. I like UW critter photography and will be happy diving the same site day after day with a good DM as a guide. Great near shore driving to shallow water or snorkely in front of the resort. However, the non-divers need a great pool, good place to stay, plus great food, and no partying college kids!

Can this be done? Where?

Thanks!

Gussy:
Here is what I'm looking for:

Nice Beach + Nice Pool + Great Snorkeling + NO Spring Break Crowd

I'm going with two kids on from 4/7 to 4/14 and was initially planning on Kauai, but heard from several people off line (non-divers) that Maui is better. I'm the only one who dives...not a lot. I like UW critter photography and will be happy diving the same site day after day with a good DM as a guide. Great near shore driving to shallow water or snorkely in front of the resort. However, the non-divers need a great pool, good place to stay, plus great food, and no partying college kids!

Can this be done? Where?

Thanks!
Absolutly can be done, Maui is the place, go to Kehei, it has all you described, enjoy:14:

Heh! Too embarrased to post my ugly picture! Where should I stay? I check Marriot on Wailea but the snorkeling is not exactly in front plus there is construction going on.

Gussy:
Heh! Too embarrased to post my ugly picture! Where should I stay? I check Marriot on Wailea but the snorkeling is not exactly in front plus there is construction going on.
There are several places in Kehei that have pools and are right on the beach, I don't pay much attention to the names as I drive by. Try doing an engine search on Maui and check out Kehei, or you may want to go to Lahaina on the west side of Maui, lots there also, good luck and aloha!:14:

There's the Sheraton at Black Rock in West Maui (near Lahaina): http://www.sheraton-maui.com/ if you like bigger resorts. Not my thing so I've never stayed there. I have been there to eat once. The dive/snorkel at Black Rock is popular and they have multiple pools.

If price isn't a big consideration there's the Grand Wailea resort just south of Kihei. I've dove and snorkeled off their beach, it's the divesite called Wailea Beach.(duh!) You'll usually see something interesting out at the point. One dive we saw a big Puffer trying to lead us away from her young and we just missed a Manta according to some other divers. The Grand Wailea is the resort to the left in the photo. Really though there's better diving at either Ulua Beach or the Makena Landing/5 Graves area. PM Shaka Doug here, he runs a divebus in that area.

They also have killer pools. Which I wasn't even aware of. They were on one of those 10 Best Travel Channel shows recently for their pool area. Won't have to worry about the college kids either - they probably can't afford it...:D

sjspeck:
The Grand Wailea is the resort in the center of the photo.
Isn't that the Four Seasons Hotel in the center of the photo? I believe the Grand Wailea is in the photo to the left (North). I was at the FS last September and the shore diving is pretty good. The pools are more impressive at the Grand Wailea. Both are pricey but have great restaurants.

Eduardo:
Isn't that the Four Seasons Hotel in the center of the photo? I believe the Grand Wailea is in the photo to the left (North). I was at the FS last September and the shore diving is pretty good. The pools are more impressive at the Grand Wailea. Both are pricey but have great restaurants.
Oops, my mistake, you're right....

A couple things to add here.

Maui does get noticeably busier during spring break season... but I don't think it's a big party atmosphere... so it really depends on what part of spring break you're trying to avoid. Incidentally, the rates are typically higher until mid/late-April because of this, too.

Kihei is a great location... close to stuff, and yet quiet enough.

You may consider looking at the Kihei Surfside or Mana Kai, if the Wailea resort prices are out of your range -- these are at the south end of Kihei / north end of Wailea and are really great value being oceanfront *and* close to good snorkelling and diving.

Be careful when booking a place that claims to be oceanfront or oceanview. Try to find an aerial view (I believe the Maui Revealed book has aerial photos of most of the hotels/condos on their website) to make sure. There are many condo complexes and hotels across the street from beaches... but it just isn't quite the same when you have to wait 5 minutes for a lull in traffic so you can cross. :)

There are also several locals on the board (myself included) that may be game for doing some shore diving with you. Unfortunately, I'm off-island for the time you're here, but kidspot may be able to hook up with you for a dive or two.

Hope that helps,

I really think one of the best locations is Kaanapali Beach when you are traveling with kids. Not only is the beach fabulous and there's great snorkeling (and diving) at Black Rock, there's Whaler's Village right in the middle of all the resorts. You can walk everywhere, and if your kids are old enough, they can be very independent in the area. There are lots of activities on the beach, including surfing lessons, sailing, and cabana rentals...to name a very few. There are a few places where you can hook up with a dive guide, including Marriott, Sheraton, and Maui Dive Shop (to name the ones I can think of off hand).

You're also only about 10 minutes away from Lahaina Town where there are oodles of places to book excursions with, as well as lots of fun things to do and shops to browse through.

A good, inexpensive place to stay on Kaanapali Beach is the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Not a fancy place, but situated right next to the Sheraton and 2 doors down from Whaler's Village. The rooms are clean, large, and basic, but the grounds are gorgeous, the service is good, and the pool is nice (but not fancy).

April 7 is at the tail end of most everyone's spring break (WA ends on the 8th), so there shouldn't be "crowds", per se. Frankly, we were on Kaanapali Beach at Christmas (which is uber-high season!) and the only time we saw crowds of people was on the road going through Lahaina on 2 days. Otherwise, we didn't feel crowded at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom