Where does buckle go on harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm

Registered
Reaction score
I built up my backplate and wings and I'm confused on what side of the crotch strap to put the buckle. The DIR book says to the "right" so it won't open the buckle. But in the picture, it's on the guys left. What's the right answer?

zimm once bubbled...
I built up my backplate and wings and I'm confused on what side of the crotch strap to put the buckle. The DIR book says to the "right" so it won't open the buckle. But in the picture, it's on the guys left. What's the right answer?
The buckle is on the left waist strap... and that strap is long enough to pass through the crotch strap so that when buckled it is on the right side of the diver.

You want to be able to reach down with your right hand and roll your fingers under the buckle flap, and pull it open by pulling your hand away/to the right.

Here's a pic:

Ken

I know DIR says on the right, but since I don't use a scooter, I guess I'm different. But logic tells me if the crotch loop is pulled to the right in the photo, the loop will unbuckle the belt. So I put mine on the far left (tight against the left pocket) where I can still use the right hand release. Not trolling, but does this make a difference, and what's the reasoning?

tony

scubatexastony once bubbled...
But logic tells me if the crotch loop is pulled to the right in the photo, the loop will unbuckle the belt.
It's a non-issue - what would be pulling your crotch strap that far to the right anyway? Either the pain from the mega-wedgie, or squishing of other sensitive bits, would stop it from reaching over there anyway.

I recently had to resize my harness because I changed from a wetsuit to a drysuit, and my buckle is a lot closer to the center that I would like, and it's still not a problem.

The reason for the buckle on the right side is for those already stated and because you put the knife on the left side waist of the harness. Check the link for great pics on gear configuration.DIR :D

the buckle serves to hold the light canister in place on the right side.

You can (and I do) slide a buckle onto the rightside webbing just to hold the light canister in place and to keep it from dropping off when you undo the waist strap buckle. In this case I still have my waist buckle on the right side of the crotch strap and right up against the canister buckle.

Back
Top Bottom