Where do you store your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plclark196

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My house is small and lacks storage so I've been storing my gear in a tool shed . I've recently talked to others that have advised against this as the changes in heat , humidity etc. can be hard on the gear , especially 0-rings . Any opinions?

currently keep my BC/Reg and wetsuits hanging in a closet. All the small stuff - mask, booties, defog slates etc etc I have a wheeled rubbermaid tote, don't remember the size exactly but everything fits nicely in there. I personally would not keep any of my gear out doors, even in a shed. I have stored them in a basement before but still inside the tote.

I store my gear the exact same way (except my tote doesn't have wheels). If you're lacking closet space to hang your stuff, put everything into a tote somewhere in a climate controlled environment. I agree about not storing stuff outside, you're asking for mold, mildew, and rust.

I have a large cooler that barely fits in my SUV. After leaving the dive site I put the wet gear in it. Soak in simple green and when dry It makes grate storage. Does not get hot and ready for the next dive. Just grab the cooler, tanks and go.

In my garage ... which is unheated.

Garage.jpg

I don't see how changes in heat and humidity can be all that hard on scuba gear ... think about where you use the stuff

Keep it clean, dry it before storing, and maintain the stuff that requires maintenance, and it should be fine. I would recommend keeping neoprene and latex away from sources of ozone (like furnaces and how water heaters). Other than that, I don't see a problem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ditto what everyone else says.... need to move it all to a climate controlled environment.
We have all our gear in our guest bedroom spread out on the bed (regs, masks, fins) and hanging on a rolling hanger rack (wetsuits, bcs) and in plastic bins (misc small stuff, drysuits).

robin:D

I store my stuff in my garage also, with my wetsuits hanging in a closet. Most all my stuff is in a large tote. Never had any problems with anything...

For washing and drying I just have an extra shower curtain rod to hang suits and bcd, leave it there to dry with fan on over night and put away...

I live in a very small cottage with little closet space. I have a rack to hang BC, wetsuits, regulator on. I keep dive lights, small stuff in my large regulator bag, fins, mask, dry bag, etc. on shelves in the closet. I'm going to move to a little larger place but only one closet there, so the rack will have to be in the spare bedroom. It would be great to have a room or closet dedicated just for gear. Dive Instructor boyfriend has similar situation. Housing in Key West is limited by price and hard to find. Extra closet space is a true luxury.

In my garage ... which is unheated.

Garage.jpg

I don't see how changes in heat and humidity can be all that hard on scuba gear ... think about where you use the stuff

Keep it clean, dry it before storing, and maintain the stuff that requires maintenance, and it should be fine. I would recommend keeping neoprene and latex away from sources of ozone (like furnaces and how water heaters). Other than that, I don't see a problem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok, why would you keep the latex and neoprene away from furnaces and hot water heaters? thanks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom