Where do you leave your valuables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatwolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a question...if you were travelling by yourself and doing a daytrip in the Philippines and decided not to rent a room, where do you leave your wallet? Do you leave it at the LDS' reception desk? Do dive shops usually provide a safety deposit box for customers? Any advice?

greatwolf:
Just a question...if you were travelling by yourself and doing a daytrip and decided not to rent a room, where do you leave your wallet? Do you leave it at the LDS' reception desk? Do dive shops usually provide a safety deposit box for customers? Any advice?

In any of the following depending on where I go.
1. in my car
2. In a pelican drybox inside my dive bag .....goes with me on the boat, locked and chained to my crate.
3. "safety" deposit box in the resort

:)

If I'm on a boat, I leave it in my dive bag aboard the boat.

If I'm beach diving and figure it is unlikely my car will be broken into (i.e. not Hawaii), I leave it hidden in the car and tether the key to my BCD.

I've never had the opportunity to leave it at the LDS.

There is, however, one location where I dive that we have to reach by boat and then set up in a parking lot from which we dive. I use a push cart to move my gear. I use a cable lock to lock my bag to the cart and do it in such a way as to make it hard to get the bag onto the cart. This makes it hard to steal the whole thing. There are lockers nearby and I put my wallet there. They are not terribly secure, but there are usually enough divers around that if the see someone breaking into the locker (or see a landlubber messing with a scuba bag), they will intervene. I'll admit that this location worries me, but I've never had a problem.

I'm sneaking away from the relatives to go to Subic, as such I won't have a car(I can't drive there anyway, I'll be too confused as I'm used to RHD). I'll most likely be commuting(unless someone gets wind of my plans).

Thanks for the replies.

Ok just to clear things up, I've just edited my question. I would like to know your experiences in the Philippines.

I either use a locker at the resort or leave it in my car. You might want to try bringing a small Otterbox (or similar) to keep your valuables dry and take them with you.

greatwolf:
Thanks for the replies.

Ok just to clear things up, I've just edited my question. I would like to know your experiences in the Philippines.

Philippine diving has been great to me....I'm permanently settled here now since 1996..... The key is to dive with the right people....

Feel free to get in touch when you're in town.. :)

Halthron:
I either use a locker at the resort or leave it in my car. You might want to try bringing a small Otterbox (or similar) to keep your valuables dry and take them with you.

Hi Halthron, thanks for the tip buddy. I've had a look at Otterbox cases, and they're rated up to 30m, I'm a bit curious about the integrity of the casing. I might just get one and hope for the best. I rang Pelican cases and their cases are only watertight up to a meter(snorkelling anyone?).

The resort receptions here are pretty good about it if you leave it with them (at least at the ones I've been with). Some also provide a locker for their guests. I've gotten into the habit of taking my cellie and wallet with me in my dive box when on the bangka cause:

1) it's fun to text jealous friends that you're on the beach and they are not,
2) in case you wanna buy a fresh catch from the fisherman passing by,
3) in case you get hungry and wanna stop at a nearby resort to eat.

First of all create a 'travel wallet'. You dont need the super thick full of crap makes it look like you have a goiter on your butt wallet. Take only what you absolutely must have for a trip and nothing else. You would be amazed at how thin your normally thick wallet can be.
Then, that wallet just might fit into an Otter box or Pelican box. If you have a lot of cards....like insurance...that you feel MUST go with you.....then go to a shop that does color reproduction and have both sides copied.....cut out...put together and have a thin plastic seal put over them. It cuts the thickness of the wallet alot and it is water proof so if the box does leak, no big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom