where do you exhaust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just can't figure out what type of exhaust is more desireable - one side or the more comon out the bottom and off to both sides.

As I see it, the exhaust affects three issues: ease of breathing, low noise, and minimal bubble interference. I want all three (don't we all?).

Sometimes I'm stationary and vertical, sometimes moving forward horizontally, sometimes twisting and turning, sometimes upside down. In other words, I'm normal.

If you've tried both, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Personally i dont like the side breathing config. The new lightweight smaller 2nd stages seem to have small T's, but they seem to cause more bubble interference and due to the extra stiffness of the diaphragm (has a smaller radius for the same thickness and modulus) some say they breathe a little harder. So the traditional size regs about the size of a fist seem the best option with a large enough T, YMMV. :wink:

"where do you exhaust?"

When I'm not on scuba, out of my butt!
Seriously though, I have been using side exhaust 2nd stage regulators for years, and have always preferred it over the dual exhaust. I've nevered had problem with bubble interference, really haven't even noticed the exhaust bubbles. I have some dual exhaust ones that I just purchased recently and I can definetly tell the difference with the exhaust bubbles. Both type breathes easily for me, but that may be the quality of the regs, not the exhaust design.

I have an Atomics B1 (bottom exhaust and out both, or either, sides). When I first dove with it, the bubbles came up right against and in front of my mask. It was very distracting. I bought the "extended" exhaust ports and a swivel too.

Now the bubbles clear to the side of my head, I don't notice them anymore. The swivel and a more comfortable mouthpiece eliminated all jaw fatigue.

After I had tricked out my regulator, Atomics introduced the B2. Pretty much the identical to my setup. I guess that makes mine a B1.75?

Carbon

Tobagoman:
"where do you exhaust?"

When I'm not on scuba, out of my butt!
Beavis is proud :wink:

I did a dive with a Poseidon Odin and didn't like it for a variety of reasons, side exhaust included.

Either way, I wouldn't let "where are the bubbles" affect my decision on which reg to buy so much as "where do I want the diaphragm," as well as other more common regulator qualities.

carbon:
After I had tricked out my regulator, Atomics introduced the B2. Pretty much the identical to my setup. I guess that makes mine a B1.75?
It's only a B1.75 if you also do the jet piston upgrade. :wink: Before getting the upgrade, the IP on my B1 would start creeping after about 70 or 80 dives/hours, after the upgrade it's done about 150 w/o any problem.

The smaller exhaust port of the B1 works fine for me. OTOH, the bubbles from my sidebreather octo, a Dacor Viper, do bother me. Maybe it's having bubbles on just one side of my face that's weird.

Charlie99:
the IP on my B1 would start creeping after about 70 or 80 dives/hours, after the upgrade it's done about 150 w/o any problem.

:11: I apologize for the slight thread hijack...

How high did your IP get? Is the piston upgrade issued as a kit by Atomics?

Carbon

carbon:
How high did your IP get? Is the piston upgrade issued as a kit by Atomics?
It slowly goes from the normal 135psi range up to around 160psi over a period of about 10 seconds. At that point the unbalanced octo would open up just enough to keep the IP there. Very little airflow. Kind of like a leaky faucet. Unless you look closely, you wouldn't notice a mild case of IP creep.

The upgrade is a replacement piston that can be installed as part of the annual service. I think Atomics is supplying it free for some serial numbers of B1. I'm not positive, but I believe it is the same piston that is used on the B2.

Dove with a dacor 960 for years then purchased a side exaust - Poseidon jetstream and wouldnt go back to other.

montyb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom