Where do you carry your stage(s) and or deco in SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you care to show a video or a detailed explanation of your gas verification technique with this method?
I don't have any video that I can show you, but I can give you a writeup.

Pre-dive, I check each deco tank's contents and either create three max-depth labels or double-check three existing labels:
  • the standard buddy-readable label printed in extra-large numerals on the deco tank's out-facing side;
  • a piece of duct tape on the deco tank's shoulder, opposite the valve handle; and
  • a piece of duct tape on the chin-side of my 2nd stage's exhaust tee.
During a NOTOX gas switch, I check each label once, in sequence.
  1. All my deco tanks are attached via bungees, so when I'm turning on the deco tank, I grasp the valve handle and pull the tank forward a few inches. The shoulder-affixed label becomes visible. (I do have to be careful about unintentionally venting my drysuit during this step.)
  2. I free the 2nd stage's hose, extend it fully, orient the mouthpiece toward myself, and check my regulator's individual label.
  3. I show the tank and deployed hose to my dive buddy, who checks the tank-side label and confirms I've got the correct hose in hand.

I don't have any video that I can show you, but I can give you a writeup.

Pre-dive, I check each deco tank's contents and either create three max-depth labels or double-check three existing labels:
  • the standard buddy-readable label printed in extra-large numerals on the deco tank's out-facing side;
  • a piece of duct tape on the deco tank's shoulder, opposite the valve handle; and
  • a piece of duct tape on the chin-side of my 2nd stage's exhaust tee.
During a NOTOX gas switch, I check each label once, in sequence.
  1. All my deco tanks are attached via bungees, so when I'm turning on the deco tank, I grasp the valve handle and pull the tank forward a few inches. The shoulder-affixed label becomes visible. (I do have to be careful about unintentionally venting my drysuit during this step.)
  2. I free the 2nd stage's hose, extend it fully, orient the mouthpiece toward myself, and check my regulator's individual label.
  3. I show the tank and deployed hose to my dive buddy, who checks the tank-side label and confirms I've got the correct hose in hand.
I like your idea of marking the 2nd stage reg.

I like your idea of marking the 2nd stage reg.

With a proper gas switch and buddy verification, there's really no need for regulator labeling, color coding second stages, hose colors, etc. One last minute regulator change or diver complacency with regards to a proper gas switch procedure can easily lead to breathing the wrong gas.

With a proper gas switch and buddy verification, there's really no need for regulator labeling, color coding second stages, hose colors, etc. One last minute regulator change or diver complacency with regards to a proper gas switch procedure can easily lead to breathing the wrong gas.
I come across this notion pretty often, I'm just not seeing how it is a problem. The reg markings, whatever they are, are secondary or tertiary to tank markinings. If the diver is checking them all, and doing a proper buddy check on the switch, where is the danger?

Swap regs last minute? Re-lable the reg. Are you in such a hurry that spending 30 seconds to do that will break the dive? I'm not saying reg marking as the ONLY marking, and I haven't heard of anyone proposing that for a long time. Is it just the addition of a possible point of confusion that is the issue? If so, it's only confusing if you are complacent, and not any different than if your side marking is different than your shoulder marking.

Is it necessary? No, but I'm not seeing danger. Complacency can lead to breathing the wrong gas, regardless of if the reg is marked or not.

I come across this notion pretty often, I'm just not seeing how it is a problem. The reg markings, whatever they are, are secondary or tertiary to tank markinings. If the diver is checking them all, and doing a proper buddy check on the switch, where is the danger?

Swap regs last minute? Re-lable the reg. Are you in such a hurry that spending 30 seconds to do that will break the dive? I'm not saying reg marking as the ONLY marking, and I haven't heard of anyone proposing that for a long time. Is it just the addition of a possible point of confusion that is the issue? If so, it's only confusing if you are complacent, and not any different than if your side marking is different than your shoulder marking.

Is it necessary? No, but I'm not seeing danger. Complacency can lead to breathing the wrong gas, regardless of if the reg is marked or not.
Because the human brain takes shortcuts all the time because we "know" reg X is on bottle X or whatnot. You have to actively work and setup your system to avoid this inevitable mental condition.

It is not natural or instinctive to "check all the places" every time, you're fighting against human nature and will at some point slip up - which creates the "diver error" incident.

So label the bottle MOD, use the bottle MOD label, don't have extra steps or labels.

For me in OC I havent carried a deco bottle in years. When I did they got carried on standard stage kits under the main bottle and on the left side. Only one at a time with the second bottle on a leash.

Bottom stages were top mounted on bungie above the main backgas cylinders.

In the sidewinder (ccr) deco or stage bottles always go underneath, on standard DIR ish stage kits, on the left side.

For me in OC I havent carried a deco bottle in years. When I did they got carried on standard stage kits under the main bottle and on the left side. Only one at a time with the second bottle on a leash.

Bottom stages were top mounted on bungie above the main backgas cylinders.

In the sidewinder (ccr) deco or stage bottles always go underneath, on standard DIR ish stage kits, on the left side.
So with a dir style rigging kit did you clip shoulder d ring and hip d ring, where your main cylinder is clipped?

How snug was this?

I definitely agree following the gas switching procedure, but I don’t see anything wrong with going beyond the standards if it helps a diver be happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom