Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May 25th, Ogden Point Breakwater, Victoria, BC, Vancouver Island. Kelp fronds at 1st corner, showed a current heading shoreward. I trudged out, on the blocks to almost the 2nd corner. Kelp was showing me a hint of flow reversal, so I splashed there, at 5:46. The water was a hazy light green and vis ranged around 10'-20', throughout the water column. 71' was my deepest, 44' avg. I swam shoreward and got out on the blocks, after I rounded the 1st corner, near the shore. The kelp forest will not take long to grow. I found a number of shell middens in front of holes in the rocks. Signs of either GPOs or Wolf Eels, although the dens were all empty. I did find one cute little Grunt Sculpin, funny looking fish. Water is getting warmer now, a balmy 9C. 3500 psi in my 100hp Faber to start, 800 psi at end of dive. 30cu Catalina pony, 3000 psi, start and finish. 48 min dive. My 28th completely solo dive, and my 265th dive in total since being cert, Sept. 2020.

May 25th, Ogden Point Breakwater, Victoria, BC, Vancouver Island. Kelp fronds at 1st corner, showed a current heading shoreward. I trudged out, on the blocks to almost the 2nd corner. Kelp was showing me a hint of flow reversal, so I splashed there, at 5:46. The water was a hazy light green and vis ranged around 10'-20', throughout the water column. 71' was my deepest, 44' avg. I swam shoreward and got out on the blocks, after I rounded the 1st corner, near the shore. The kelp forest will not take long to grow. I found a number of shell middens in front of holes in the rocks. Signs of either GPOs or Wolf Eels, although the dens were all empty. I did find one cute little Grunt Sculpin, funny looking fish. Water is getting warmer now, a balmy 9C. 3500 psi in my 100hp Faber to start, 800 psi at end of dive. 30cu Catalina pony, 3000 psi, start and finish. 48 min dive. My 28th completely solo dive, and my 265th dive in total since being cert, Sept. 2020.
Dude!
You’re killin’ it!!!

Today I did Queensland Prov. Park, NS. Water temp. up to 48F (9C). Got 5 American Pelican's Foot shells, one of the few attractive species up here in the Boreal (shelling) province.

Today I did Queensland Prov. Park, NS. Water temp. up to 48F (9C). Got 5 American Pelican's Foot shells, one of the few attractive species up here in the Boreal (shelling) province.

I had to Google that, never seen one in person, appear very attractive. Good you show pictures, please?

...If work requires work boots, it usually requires long pants too. Your hot Aussie day can't possibly be hotter than an average summer day in Libya and we don't wear shorts when going to work, except if you are in the diving or swim business....
I recall working in a machine shop in Houston that had no AC & wearing work boots with shorts. The sharp steel chips on the floor made closed toe shoes desirable, & the 110F temperature made long pants a tough choice.

I had to Google that, never seen one in person, appear very attractive. Good you show pictures, please?
Very sorry, I'm not computer smart enough to do pictures. I haven't seen one south of Eastern Canada-- maybe they are in northern Maine? I did find one on the shore of James Bay (Ontario side) years ago. Common here in Nova Scotia.

Reactions: Ana
Solo dived lake in Nova Scotia after work more of a readjust gear ,wetsuit,weights etc. Found a couple of medicine bottles,20’ft max.
980925A2-AF53-4602-A0BD-F71216915951.jpegD287FE4E-2FD3-4838-8BB8-7FFD201AAD53.jpegDC1287F8-43C6-44AF-9EAE-4598D99300A0.jpeg

I recall working in a machine shop in Houston that had no AC & wearing work boots with shorts. The sharp steel chips on the floor made closed toe shoes desirable, & the 110F temperature made long pants a tough choice.

Oil fields here are in the middle of the GRAND Sahara, in the summer time temps. reach over 50C/122F and everyone wears safety boots and full coveralls/overalls. Same around other oil installations, no way would you see somebody wearing shorts, that is against safety regulations!!

Anyone else wants to top this?

(Note: The word "Sahara" means "desert" in Arabic and hence it is completely wrong to say "Sahara Desert." The proper term used in Arabic is "Grand Sahara" or "Al-Sahrah El-Kubrah" or "الصحراء الكبرى")

Very sorry, I'm not computer smart enough to do pictures. I haven't seen one south of Eastern Canada-- maybe they are in northern Maine? I did find one on the shore of James Bay (Ontario side) years ago. Common here in Nova Scotia.
No worries I just never seen the Pelican's foot shells. Americans or other kind.
It called my attention because I've been mildly interested in shells for decades... I've picked some bivalves that had some event happened to the creature but somehow recovered , makes for an amusing shape.
Makes me wonder about the growth process on these "Foot shells" . My understanding is that shells just add layers as they grow, but sort of following the same pattern... Looking at Google images of the foot shells, seems that at certain point in their life they grow a foot, can that be right?
Anyway thanks for giving me a new question to figure out.

Back
Top Bottom