Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This dive is dive #16 in my log, 7/25/1981. Being a midwesterner, all of my dives to that point were FL/Caribbean, so kelp was a brand new thing to me! I think about this dive a lot and would love to do it again someday. I’ll let you know if I get back that way and you can share it with me, if you want.
Thanks for bringing back old memories.

Erik
Be happy to, any time you wander this way again give me a shout.

Bowman Bay, Deception Pass State Park

Decided to try the other side of the spit today and explore the old pier there. My original thought was to do the pier and then swim over to the rock wall, but it's been a few years since I was at Bowman and that wall is a LOT further away than I remember. The top 3-4 feet of the water were absolute pea soup, but below that the vis was 10 feet+ and I just walked out until the water was chin deep and dove. Followed the piling line out and the life just got more and more interesting as I went. Lots of crabs, more and more anenomies, some fish, etc. Good, low effort dive.

It almost didn't happen. When I hooked up the tank I discovered that my DIN O-ring had gone walkabout and almost scrubbed the dive. Fortunately, I remembered I had one on my filling adapter and after a quick swap I was in the water. Ordered an assortment of O-rings to start my Save a dive kit. Used the new GoPro knock-offs for the first time and they have some annoying quirks. Nothing deal breaking, but will take some getting used to. Hard to complain much about sub-$20 cameras.

Dive #20
Time 35 minutes or so
Depth 19 feet
Main tank 2230 / 940
Pony 3000/3000

Lillebaelt, Denmark. SF2 rebreather, GUE set-up with carbon cylinders for DIL (2x6.7Liters) and one aluminium cylinder for O2 (3L). Suex scooter.

Attachments

• IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 45
A bit of a round up this,
Ive been diving in my local mill pond its actually better than it sounds. Horstead mill, burned down and what is left is now a bridge over the river and the old sluices. It drops down to 3m and is full of perch, eels and cray fish. Its a great spot for washing away the cob webs and washing the salt out of your kit.

Unfortunately the winds this year aren't the best. Ive had two trips badly impacted by the wind. The first was just a day trip out of Southwold on Raider V on the east coast of the UK. The first dive was amazing an unknown wreck from the first world war. It was teaming with life and still fairly intact the vis was a good 10m which for our bit of coast is exceptional and for once we were still within site of shore.

The second dive was to be on an armed trawler but this was scrubbed due to the winds.

The dive was a max of 26m for 70 minutes. Easily the best dive of the year

This weekend we were supposed to be out again but the winds beat us again.

But...

Those same winds have meant the local shore diving close to Cromer has been surprisingly good. Flat seas, and about 5m of vis. This weekend two 85 minute dives to a max of 5m. Ideal for playing with the camera and collecting tea.

The local shore dives are on a chalky reef which is home to crabs and lobsters, todays highlight was a tiny common squid.

Thanks for looking

Possibly should have posted this here. Updates to follow...

I’ll be solo diving a shallow Ft Wetherhill cove Thursday morning, but I don’t go deep solo diving.

Been solo diving for some years, only have (intentionally) solo'd off the beach in SE. Florida. A typical shore dive is gear up at the vehicle, walk to the beach, across the sand, then swim out to the rubble, drop down, enjoy.
As much as I enjoy diving with a buddy, sometimes it's nice to experiece life below the waves solo. But I don't need to tell any ya'll that! :)
Most recent dive was off Yellow Brick Road in Hollywood, FL PST 80, UV shirt, shorts. Love diving in the summer. Water almost flat calm with a very light north current.
I did a REEF ID fish count, 68 species. Obviously I missed a lot. A lot!
Final numbers
Date 7/12/2023
Log # 1402
Depth 24, avg 16
Visibiltiy Hazy Blue 30ft
Water temp High 92, avg 87 (very warm for this time of year, about a month early these temps!)
Dive time 267 min.

Attachments

• 1.P7121108.jpg
    1.P7121108.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 1402 03 reef.jpg
    1402 03 reef.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 38
Back to Chapel Rock, Larnaca District, Cyprus yesterday. Everything felt more organised on my part and sea conditions calmer. Had my GoPro rig with video lights this time. Like a pig in ****!

Images are just GoPro video grabs with a quick and dirty edit. Not expecting to be on the front page of National Geographic.

Screenshot-2023-07-17-at-22-28-42.jpg

Screenshot-2023-07-17-at-22-30-12.jpg

Screenshot-2023-07-17-at-22-29-28.jpg

Screenshot-2023-07-17-at-22-30-47.jpg

Story continues. Did my first dive with a local dive centre today. That didn't go quite as smoothly! I'll write something tomorrow.

Back to Chapel Rock, Larnaca District, Cyprus yesterday.

A couple of extra kicks and you will be diving with me here in Libya :)

These days it is mirror like conditions here.

Back
Top Bottom