Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great solo dive in the Devils System at Ginnie Springs on Friday. My dive buddies all had to bail at the last minute so I geared up and headed in. I have not watched the videos or looked at the pictures yet, but I hoped they turned out. Almost soloed again yesterday after more buddies not showing up, but found a great dive partner whose buddies also bailed on him.

Yesterday, Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort ( flooded 22 acre quarry dive) in Hopkinsville, a town in southwestern KY, USA. They've got a bunch of sunken attractions; I swam along a wall, then headed to the shallow region to view & photograph some of those. I believe this is an old 1942 Firetruck; first photo is 'as is' from the camera (Canon G10 in Canon UW housing, no additional hardware), second is the same photo using the 'Auto Levels' function under Enhance in Adobe Photoshop Elements 8. (I'm a snap shooter).

IMG_0024_zps575323df.jpg

IMG_0024AL_zps7ce510ae.jpg

Thermocline was around 33 feet, max. depth for my dive 51 feet, temp. low per backup computer around 60 degrees. Wore a 2 piece 5 mm 'Farmer John' wet suit, no hood or gloves, was quite warm well above the thermocline, okay diving near it, and cold down in the depths. Parts of the quarry are much deeper than anywhere I went.

Richard.

Up in Tobermory, ON. Did the wreck of the King in 85 ft and a little wooden sailboat, True Ellen, in 55 ft that has the smallest deadeyes I've ever seen, about 2.5 inches across. High winds and waves made these the wrecks to dive today, instead of a couple of more exposed, deeper wrecks.

Water is still warm, 60 F. Diver's Den in Toby are not perturbed by experienced solo divers on their charters.

Did 3 Dives Saturday in 126 ft. on some hard bottom about 30 miles east of Charleston. I was looking for some fish to pick on but the visibility sucked. Did some good recon for future trips and enjoyed my time alone on the bottom.

I fear I am at risk of having my Solo Card revoked. Mrs. Stoo has decided she likes diving "up here" in her hand-me-down drysuit, so between that a newly-certified friend I am mentoring, I haven't been on a proper solo dive for about two months.

I hope you people will forgive me.

And I promise to correct my abhorrent ways this weekend when I head away with my usual solo-buddy. The guy who sits in the boat while I dive and who dives while I sit in the boat.

Did a 61 minute dive in my local mudhole last night. Went down looking for a specific fish I had found over the week-end while taking some students on tour ... only this time I had my camera. The little guy wasn't there ... but another, different type of fish had moved in. OK ... I'll take his picture instead. Had some issues with one of my strobes, so the pictures didn't turn out all that good. OK ... I'll just head up into the eelgrass and go look for something small to take pictures of. Once above 20 feet the water was thrashing around and the vis got murky, so taking pictures of small stuff was out of the question. At that point I decided it wasn't happening tonight, so I just clipped off the camera and enjoyed kicking around blowing bubbles for a while before heading back in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And I promise to correct my abhorrent ways this weekend when I head away with my usual solo-buddy. The guy who sits in the boat while I dive and who dives while I sit in the boat.

Say hi to Shirk.

Welland Scuba park, 31 ft 24 ft viz, 61F.

Found a Mako mask in 7 ft, and perturbed a dog walker who was concerned for my well being, me being alone and all.

Last edited:
71' on the wreck of the Delaware in NJ. Bottom temp a warm 62 degrees from top to bottom. 1st dive 50 minutes to work with new gear, 2nd dive 40 minutes to study layout of wreck.

Dove Venice Beach Florida this morning,max depth 21 feet bottom temp 80 vis 10 -15 feet I found one meg tooth and lots of jewelry size teeth The fossil bed was well exposed bottom time 82 minutes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom