Where can I find the "big stuff," the large pelagic fish in Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I live in Jakarta, and I enjoy Bali, with all the spectacular stuff near the Liberty. Moerover, I dove all other parts of Bali, including the Manta point. I've done the Komodo liveaboard, which is wonderful. However, I would like to travel to another location in SE Asia were I can encounter large pelagic fish. I need a land based resort with Internet.

Please recommend a resort in Indonesia or somewhere else in the area where I can dive with the big stuff! I heard that Sipidan is great, but it is too complicated to get the permit to dive there every day. What do you recommend for diving in late July - September?

Thank you!

Land resort + Internet = near to city/village life = fishing activities = err.404

Other than Bali, forget Indo for regular big stuff unless it's liveaboards, maybe you can find what you want in Malapascua/PIs diveable in august (did it), cannot guarantee good Internet though.

I guess Galapagos and Cocos aren't part of Indonesia, are they ....?

Sipadan is a good place to go between July and September, particularly July & August. We saw lots of turtles and sharks; manta rays are not that common but have also been seen in that timeframe.
If you opt for the Celebes Explorer liveaboard, not only will they take you to the best dive sites, they will also take care of the daily permits. All you have to do is sign.

Lombok for hammerheads in season, lembongan for mola, maybe bima in Sulawesi has more big stuff. Sipidan has a bit. Otherwise forget indo for big stuff, go Galapagos and see it all lol

Massapequa in the Philippines has virtually guaranteed thresher sharks in good numbers and Maolboal has access to the whale sharks in Oslob. Gato near Malapascua has varying numbers of white tips , usually swimming around in caverns, very impressive.

It's also.great value.

Am sure Cebu Pecific can get you there from Jakarta.

Best fishes x

Yes and panagatan in the Philippines accessible from Boracay in April- May has chance of whalesharks, mantas, mobulas, grey reefs, white tips and hammerheads. It's an all or nothing site!

In addition to the other locs suggested, Layang Layang (Malaysia) would be land-based and from what I have heard has frequent hammerhead sightings. Whether it has internet, what other big stuff it has, how frequently the hammerheads are seen, and what it's like in Jul-Sep I can't tell you.

You could also theoretically run internet from your cell and take a Cenderawasih liveaboard to see whale sharks. But I doubt you would have cell signal every day and whalesharks may be the only big animals you see on that trip.

For ultimate big animals definitely Galapagos.

Back
Top Bottom