Where are these Regs made?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just checked my new Aqua Lung Conshelf 14 again and it is stamped "Made in USA."

I think highly of Zeagle. I've got several of their regs and one of their BCs. Their staff and the support they provide are as good or better than anything else you'll find in the Scuba industry. They support both 'users' and 'dealers'. However, if they're making regs in the States, I'd like to see pictures of the mfr facility. Until then, I'll remain skeptical.

I concur, their support is awesome. I was getting answers to my questions within a day, and who am I , just a regular diver from somewhere. May be this is why I have 4 of their Flatheads now :) And they never let me down except cases where I screwed up and violated my well established winter protocols of cold water pre-dive preparations.

That's my point exactly, it comes down to the individual QC of the company. For the record I used to design pressure vessels and filters here in Ontario, built to ASME sec VIII Div 1, and am accustomed with the TSSA and federal requirements. Yes, the TSSA has to cover the final bases with hydrotest and radiography, but it is still the responsibility of the individual company to design and manufacture to ASME code to begin with.

You're right that in general, there is more low quality stuff coming from China, but a good example is the bicycle industry. Everything is made in China/Taiwan/Vietnam but the major bike companies will have their own employees at the factory to oversee final QC. Chinese companies are perfectly capable of making quality products if they choose to, and that is all I was trying to say. My uncle owns a water cooler factory in China, where he and my cousin work and oversee the final QC. They have no problems.

Would I choose just any old product made in China. No. But a good example is the HOG regs, I trust Chris' dedication to quality and customer service, and would have no qualms about diving a chinese made reg from him.

Well guys not going to get in a pissing match but you are so mis informed its ridiculous, I manage a company that manufactures pressure vessels that are shipped world wide we have our own QC dept that insures we adhere strictly to ASME Sect VIII Div 1 requirements, but it all comes down to QC Manager and his Inspectors whom work for my company, final witnessing of hydrotest and documentation is the responsibility TSSA ( Govt agency for Ontario)but they cannot be there 100% of the time during the fabrication process this is entrusted to our own QC dept.

And sorry to say more crap comes out of China than say Europe, US and Canada for many reasons one of them being consequences which are much more serious than in the US or Canada so many times when a discrepancy is found in China Taiwan there is a cover up, that right out of the mouth of a audit team leader I spoke too whom had just returned from China.

So to sum up dumbest thing I think not, debatable yes, and having said that to each his own you suck on your Chinese made reg I suck on my UK, US made reg.

Who really cares where they are made? If it works and breathes well I could care less if it's made here or in Taiwan. The statement that something is junk becasue it's made there is one of the dumbest things I've heard. The engineering specs are the same, the materials required have to meet certain standards whether they are made here or there. And for that matter I'd rather have it built by someone with the education they get there than the average HS graduate in the US that can barely read and write.

I myself do care.

I worked in a climbing company called DMM in North Wales which make some of the best climbing equipment available. One of the owners brought in some of the came type of cams which DMM makes. Yes, they will what they were made for but for how long? The quality of material and the way it moved was totally noticeable. Some people really believe in what they are making, others just do it for money.

Don't you think the Reg is one of the most important tools you can have while enjoying what you love? Shouldn't have to think twice when you breath, no matter where you are!

But buy what you like... It's ok to me, just wondering!!!

i would be unsure about any titanium regs being made anywhere outside of taiwan, not just any old factory can produce and work with titanium, hence the sky high cost.

Well guys not going to get in a pissing match but you are so mis informed its ridiculous, I manage a company that manufactures pressure vessels that are shipped world wide we have our own QC dept that insures we adhere strictly to ASME Sect VIII Div 1 requirements, but it all comes down to QC Manager and his Inspectors whom work for my company, final witnessing of hydrotest and documentation is the responsibility TSSA ( Govt agency for Ontario)but they cannot be there 100% of the time during the fabrication process this is entrusted to our own QC dept.

And sorry to say more crap comes out of China than say Europe, US and Canada for many reasons one of them being consequences which are much more serious than in the US or Canada so many times when a discrepancy is found in China Taiwan there is a cover up, that right out of the mouth of a audit team leader I spoke too whom had just returned from China.

So to sum up dumbest thing I think not, debatable yes, and having said that to each his own you suck on your Chinese made reg I suck on my UK, US made reg.

This is a crazy bigotted UScentric or Anglocentric attitude. I might remind you that the best cars are most definitely not made in the US or the UK (I'm thinking Toyota, yes I know you're all thinking Ferrari, Mercedes etc.), the best computers similarly, most things in fact, lets all boycott Apple (Chinese). In fact it was a Canadian company that made substandard parts for Toyota!! I will suck on my french reg thank you very much. Seriously, I think that if you drill down, in order to stay competitive, most manufacturing is done offshore, and to appease the biggots, or avoid the taxes they say "assembled" in the US/UK or what ever, which may mean package, or attach the hoses or in fact put the parts together, Who knows and who cares? :D

From my experience in the dive industry on a manufacturing level ( I will not name names, but I can say each of you use my products on almost every dive) no matter where a product is made, it is all about materials and QC. Some of the best regs in the world come from overseas; it is less about assuming that a product made out of the US is inferior and more about a quality product at an affordable price... Most divers would be surprised at where products are made/sub assembled... It is against the law for ANY company to make a product off shore and do "finishing touches" here in the US and then put a US stamp on it...At the end of the day if Americans continue to ask for lower prices then we can also expect products to be mad outside of the US.. US only manufactures cannot compete in this economy with companies who have a lower price and similar product...We are all buying based on ads we see in Scuba magazines anyways right? Just my opinion as I have been in the industry for many years and as stated above personally on a manufacturing level for the Scuba Industry...

I like to know where things I buy are made; in the same vein I like the style of a produce department that shows where the various fruits and vegetables were grown, and I like ingredients lists.

That in and of itself doesn't indicate a specific preference, but more a desire to know what I'm getting (inasmuch as possible). :)

Sea Hornet regulators (brilliant and cheap) made in Sydney, Australia.

Back
Top Bottom