Where and Who?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charles R

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What part of Kona and who should I book my dives with for Christmas time? I am going to be in Kona for 10 days over chistmas this year and would like some help finding out who I sould book my dives with? Please help.

You know, if it was me, I'd call Mathew from Big Island Divers. He leads some dives and is a videographer who just shot some BBC stuff that has not aired yet. He is a real student of sealife behavior and habitat, just loves the stuff.--those are the types of people that really make an experience memorable.

Of course, do the manta night dive. (what I would do, is call and see if they "showed" the night before, I've had them two of the three times) The best predictor seems to be if they showed the night before, I think it has to do with the plankton.

I'm set to go with Jack's, 25-29 September. Boat dives on the 25th-28th in the mornings, then doing 2 Manta dives; the first on the 27th, and the second the following night. My last day diving will be a single shore dive on the 29th. I'll write up a full report upon my return. :)

I was in Kona for the first time last month. It was a short trip, with only two dive days. I dove with Big Island Divers on both mornings, and dove with Kona Honu Divers for the Manta dive (Unfortunately, no mantas showed up, but we still got in a really nice night dive). Both operations did a great job, in my opinion. Personally, I liked Big Island Divers better, but that's because I usually prefer a smaller boat.

My Hawaiian diving experience is limited to two idlands -- Maui (lots of dives) and the Big Island/Kona side (only 6 dives). Based on this limited experience, plus what I've heard from the grape vine and read here on Scuba Board, most dive ops in the Aloha State do a great job. Folks will have their own favourite ops, but it has to do with an almost intangible feeling of being more "at home" with a specific operation's style.

In any case, please let us know about your Kona trip when you get back. I'm hoping to get back to Kona in the not to distant future, and would love to hear about your experiences there, as well as your recommendations.

Peace,
Dave

PS regarding the Manta dive -- Based on my very limited experience, it might be good to ask about manta numbers over the previous 2 or 3 nights. When I went, they told us that they'd had 6 mantas two nights earlier and 3 mantas on the previous night. I figured that the good old "Bittner Luck" (my family's name for Murphy's Law when one of us is involved) would kick in, and sure enough, no mantas showed. However, since I (sadly) won't be on the Big Island over Christmas, you'll probably see wall-to-wall mantas!

I use Big Island again in a heartbeat.

Dave

I have used Jack's Diving Locker and Torpedo Tours in the past and they are great operations. Also heard that Pacific Rim Divers and Wanna Dive are excellent. The manta ray dives are a must, just make sure to book them early in your trip, so you have another chance to do it later in case no mantas show up. Christmas is usually very busy for all dive operations, so make sure to book early. You might not get on the boats calling the night before.

Based on this limited experience, plus what I've heard from the grape vine and read here on Scuba Board, most dive ops in the Aloha State do a great job.

Peace,
Dave

There is one operation I will not dive with.

Back
Top Bottom