When you look into your tank....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
What do you see?

Are small particals or black specs ok? Should it be a perfectly clear finish? When is it time to tumble?

Todd,
There's really quite a range of finishes that represent good conditions in a cylinder.
Black specks MAY be okay, and loose particles should be cleaned out. Experience is key here, and often you need to have looked into a lot of tanks to be able to decide when a tumble is necessary. Get somebody with that experience to look inside your cylinder. Did you lose my phone number? :)

Neil

Avoid tumbling an aluminum tank if possible. A small amount of oxidation is acceptable. If in doubt take to a shop tech. Steel tanks may have a condition called 'powder rust' or flash rust. While not desirable, unless pits are forming tumbling may be premature. Loose particles should be blown out. Invert the tank, insert an air line (oil free) and blast. Procedures of a more technical nature apply to oxygen or 'nitrox' tanks. Basically, the technician will be more concerned with particles as ignition sources, especially in aluminum. Also, there are additional cleaning procedures which follow tumbling.

Thanks for the input. I have (2) steel 80's (won in a poker game)
:wink: and one looks like it was recently tumbled the other has some small black specs inside. Looks like it needs to be blown out as mentioned. Nice tanks... both have fairly recent VIS and Hydro.
Opened them up to take a look for myself though, and just curious about what I found. I'll get air back in them soon.

Maybe you can take a look at them when you hook up with me to give me those lessons on using that new drysuit?:)

Your puter is all ready for you... I just need to put in a hard drive.

I'll be in touch, Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom