When you judge others...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
When you judge others, always remember to take a look at yourself

Been finishing up summer on the river. I enjoy a lifestyle of less busy work and use my time to enjoy what I like to do. Luckily for me the heat is high and the rain is low so the grass needs little cutting. (Have not had to cut it in 5 weeks.) This fits right into my motto Voluntary Simplicity - I'm a slave to my passions - but not to my house" Was on the river Friday getting beat to hell with some class 3 and 4 rapids and rocks as I took a couple of unexpected swims outside of my kayak. I started to kayak last year. Since my back bothers me in hard-shell yaks I use an AIRE inflatable kayak. It is very cushy, just like a sofa, unless you flip it or fall out...then you have the rocks and swift water to deal with. I have thigh straps, but class 3 or 4 tend to remove you from your yak, thigh straps or not, when you are a beginner.

Felt like some more paddling Sunday with wife, so we went for some class 1 and 2 rapids as my body still had not recovered from the beating on Friday. While on the river Sunday I was able to assist in 2 different rescues. One was a canoe team of father and daughter that capsized on a rapid and were struggling down stream to get to shore. We helped them to shore ferrying them with our yaks. I noticed the girl (about 17) was really struggling to keep her head above water and moaning and groaning a lot. As I took a closer look at her I saw her PFD (life vest) floating way above her head. On further examination she only had the bottom strap buckled and the 3 other straps completely unbuckled as well as the shoulder straps too lose. I told her to adjust her vest properly as I paddled away once they were back on shore. I thought to myself, "what a knucklehead she is" then thought I'd better check my own vest for fit. My vest was vastly superior to her vest in fit, BUT, my vest was not adjusted properly as well. It was a semi-new vest that had I used only a handful of times on still water more or less and I had never bothered to adjust it fully. A critical examiner might give it a C or C+ at best for adjustment as my pfd rode up too high as well. When your in the water you do not want your vest above the water with your head stuck way down below cause it is too loose fitting. When you judge others, always remember to take a look at yourself as well. Paddling is great sport to get into. Much more satisfying and sustainable that practicing an addiction as my usual MO was. I have many positive time fillers that occupy my life now. Here is a short list.

Partial List of My Positive Time Filling Activities:

Hiking, Mountain Bike, Climbing Gym and Rock Climbing, Basketball, Rollerblading, Trail Running, Jet Skiing, Racquetball, Swim, Sun Bath, Fishing, Canoeing, Skateboarding, Weight Training, Target Shooting, Camping, Jogging, Kayaking, Motorcycle, Snowshoe, Downhill Skiing, XC Skiing, Yoga, Massage, Meditation, Dirt Bike, Free Lectures and Movies at a Local University, Snow Tubing, Snorkeling / Scuba, Napping or Relaxing in a Hammock, Bar B Q, Picnics, Library, Spiritual Studies, Free Musical Events and Concerts, Church Services, Scenic Seasonal Car Trips, Travel.

Good Luck,

Dan

Hey,

I feel your pain (literally) on the inflatables in tougher rapids, but I love their portability and their ruggedness. They are great fun. I have two Airhead tk-2's

I also feel your pain on the judge not scene. I find that whenever I go to criticize someone else, I usually end up with my foot in my mouth due to my own inadequacies, but I often find that I am still doing it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom