When were you ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had around 200 dives in and was a DM. I had already put together a set of double 72s and had around 25 dives in them. Was ready to say screw it to DMing and possibly diving after being used as an indentured servant by an instructor. Then I met my tech instructor. First tech classes were NAUI Intro and Helitrox. That was 15 years ago. I just retired as an SDI/TDI Instructor teaching up to AN/DP and Advanced Wreck.
I don't even want to think about the amount of money I put in. And I rarely bought anything new until I became a dealer for Edge/HOG.
I'd say plan on 3-7k initial investment depending on the cost of the drysuit if you don't have one yet.
That's not including course costs.
Buy used tanks and regs that you can service yourself when they need taken care of. Use second stages you can take apart underwater without tools.
Before this make sure your buoyancy and trim are exemplary. Ie, better than many recreational instructors. Forget everything you've been told about how safe diving is.
Start reading up on deco theory.
Start reading accident reports and discover how many ways you can die doing this. Going tech raises the risks exponentially.
Start thinking of every dive as a skills dive. Practice one specific skill over and over for 10 minutes on every dive.
Learn to frog kick, back kick, and do helicopter turns.
Choose an instructor who actually does tech dives. Not one who took a weekend workshop to be allowed to teach them.
Be ready to get told you are not ready yet or you need more dives before they will issue you a card.
I saw a Course Director get told they needed remedial training to crossover to a TDI Tech Instructor and get sent home after 20 minutes in the water because they could not do a bottle remove and replace or valve drill without floating to the surface in 15 feet of water.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom