When traveling to dive resorts do you bring your own regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

--How many dives are planned? Is it worth it to drag the scuba gear along for just two dives?

Yes it is. I've been travelling frequently on business trips over the last 8 years. The peace of mind knowing it's my own equipment is invaluable to me.

I've been known to pack an extra bag including my drysuit when going to places where I might get only two dives in due to time constraints. Last time I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, it was May and the sea temp was 33 F. No way I was going to dive in a rental wetsuit in those temps. Over the course of two dives I saw schooling pollock, lobsters, moon shells and my first ever wolf eel (despite diving wolf eel heaven aka Vancouver Island and seeing not-a-one).

It was worth the expense and effort.

*edit* To answer the OP, yes I bring my own equipment to a dive resort, for all the reasons previously stated.

I do quite a few dive travel trips a year. On every trip I carry the reg I intend to use, plus a backup reg. On two occasions I have used the backup--one was with a brand new Oceanic reg that had the infamous high pressure seat problem, the other was with an AL reg that, while usable, did not perform as I knew it should. I probably could have repaired the AL reg on site, but why bother. I was there to dive not service a reg.

Just noticed this thread is in Advanced Scuba Discussions - why?

I also have a strong preference for a Seacure mouthpiece which you are not going to find on a rental for obvious reasons.

To reinforce this, my regs (which had a sea cure miuthpiece) were stolen. I bought a new set that included some supposedly new comfo-bite mouthpiece. I did exactly one dive on them before I replaced with sea cure.

(And no, I don't have scrambled teeth or an unusual bite.)

Always bring your own...even with the fees on the airlines for baggage, it makes sense to bring your own because you'll pay more in the long run for the rental than the cost of the luggage fees. Use your own reg...using the resort's regs is like brushing with someone else's toothbrush!

Now that I have my own regs I will definitely bring them with me, but I have not had any problems with rental gear in the trips that I have done. If I didn't have my own set of gear I would not have big concerns with renting.

I have to admit that I am meticulous about bringing my own regs when I travel. I like knowing that the reg I put in my mouth has been serviced, maintained, and functions in a way that is comfortable for me. While it is a luxury to have your own regs, if you have them, why not bring them? They are easy to pack and should be reliable since they are yours. If you have them, bring them.

Definitely. I also bring almost everything else except weights and tanks. The Regs are just too smal and convenient to leave at home. Plus as has been mentioned, I know when all my gear was serviced and that it has been taken care of.

Same here.... everything but weights and tanks are my own. My gf and I put both our gear into one big suitcase (except reg & mask which we carry on). It weighs 60lbs, so there will be heavy bag fee unless you fly Continental and upgrade to 1st class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom