When to use soft weights v. hard weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunshineFish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been wondering this for awhile - for BCs with integrated weight pockets: are you only supposed to use soft weights? As most dive shops seem to only supply hard weights, I would think that I'd have to either bring my own weights or stuff my pockets with hard weights (I've been wearing 6 lbs with my 3 mil).

SF

Originally posted by SunshineFish
I would think that I'd have to either bring my own weights or stuff my pockets with hard weights
Hi SunshineFish,
Hard weights are actually easier to put in and take out with the BC on in my opinion.

It's really up to you.. I have soft weights but found that after the dive, I have to dry them out with all of my other gear - they are simply lead shot in nylon pouches. It is a hassle sometimes. See if you can find some hard weights that have a rubber coating to make them feel a little "softer".

Have fun!

Evidently, the "DIR" divers are required to use soft weights. Otherwise, I don't see how they could ditch the belt. A DIR afficionado named Wendy, who dives with wings (including crotch strap), claims that if she needs to drop the belt that she can simply pull it through and drop it. I don't see how that could be done with a regular weight belt, especially one with accessories attached. She also says that the crotch strap prevents accidental drop.

Whatever works, I'm not converting to softies, however. I wear a standard belt on the outside if a strap is used.

I prefer to have hard weights in my IW pockets, because there's less bulk for the same amount of weight.

I prefer soft weights, though I don't really notice a difference when I'm forced to use hard weights, while traveling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom