When to take a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'll get back on topic, good post about diving dry. I personally find it a little easier to manage my bouyancy with my BC and not totally with my DS. In my class I was taught it was acceptable either way but it is generally easier to manage one air bubble (bouyancy with DS only) vs. two air bubbles (DS and BC). I happen to leave my automatic dump valve on my DS 2 to 3 clicks towards closed vs. all the way open as I found I was dumping air just as quickly as I was adding it in the all the way open position.

I'm not completly sure what you mean here,is the valve allmost open or closed.
When allmost closed you'll have to dump manualy,
or when allmost open your just compensating for the sensetivity of the valve and therefore venting air when you raise your arm.

Ok English is not my 1st language,maybe that why I miss the point, but so are most of us :D Non English are taking over:rofl3:

Cheers,

Evert

Valve mostly open and compensating for the sensitivity of the automatic valve. It is definitely easier to add air than it is to dump it. I also only mostly close the automatic valve at the surface.

BTW, 300Bar, your English is excellent as a second language! Thanks for helping me clarify my post.

Valve mostly open and compensating for the sensitivity of the automatic valve. It is definitely easier to add air than it is to dump it. I also only mostly close the automatic valve at the surface.

BTW, 300Bar, your English is excellent as a second language! Thanks for helping me clarify my post.

Thanks for the compliment :lotsalove:

As for the valve,that's according to me, just the way to do it.although I NEVER use my BC during a dive.Second bubble can be a problem.For me, BC is a surface aid.

As for the valve,that's according to me, just the way to do it.although I NEVER use my BC during a dive.Second bubble can be a problem.For me, BC is a surface aid.

I think that's how most people are taught, and as long as it works, it's all good.

The reasons I don't use the DS for buoyancy are that 1) it's slower to dump than the BC because the dump valve is lower-flow, and 2) you can't dump/burp while inverted or otherwise out of position. Both those issues tell me it's not a good idea to have more air in the suit than is absolutely necessary.

I think that's how most people are taught, and as long as it works, it's all good.

The reasons I don't use the DS for buoyancy are that 1) it's slower to dump than the BC because the dump valve is lower-flow, and 2) you can't dump/burp while inverted or otherwise out of position. Both those issues tell me it's not a good idea to have more air in the suit than is absolutely necessary.

for your 1st point:d depents on the suit/valve,I've got a new suit recently(kind of a DUI clone for 50% of the price)The valve is way to fast for me so I do have to close it.

2nd point: there should never be to much air,in where ever you put it.I've seen a lot of BP/W without a lower dumpvalve.they called it a failing point?as are shoulder dumps ?They say.Who am i to disagree:shakehead:fact is it never happend to me in 25 years.Can or will it never happen to me;:confused:Who knowes,but than again maybe a comet will fall on my head is it very likely,.:D Hope not.

I'm not into the DIR stuff so I keep on seeing the better/nice side of diving.:D

Having just purchased my first drysuit, I ask this in all seriousness. Just what is the big deal?

I am an accomplished diver with good skills, but all my diving has been in wetsuits. So the difference is the mechanics of adjusting the buoyancy characteristics and squeeze, getting my trim adjusted and going over safety protocols.

Do I really need a class or will just a couple of dives do the trick?

From your description i'd guess a couple of shallow dives with a dry suit experienced buddy will be fine just to practice inversions and so on.
There really isn't a lot of difference.

For newer and/or less experianced divers,YES they do need it,i,ve seem them do some very stupid things.A few years ago one of these new,don't need the class divers did die,due to a barotrauma aka exploded lungs).He made a polaris ascend, feet first from 30m/100+ft.holding his breath.

To be blunt that isn't a drysuit issue. Its a diver issue. Holding breath is drilled in from day one to be now. Also doing a 30m dive with any unfamiliar kit is stupid.

Like anything start off slow and gentle then gradually expand your experience.

I happen to leave my automatic dump valve on my DS 2 to 3 clicks towards closed vs. all the way open as I found I was dumping air just as quickly as I was adding it in the all the way open position.

Depends a lot on the suit, fit of suit and where the manufacturer decided to put the dump valve. Also depends on brand of valve.

On my suit i dive with dump 100% open all the time and to get rid of air i still have to roll and squeeze my army up to shoulder by bending elbow - its far from auto. Has been the same on my 3 previous suits as well - i MUCH prefer a simple cuff dump where i raise arm to dump and lower it to stop and have found them faster and more reliable.

From my experience here about 50% of people luck out and get a shoulder dump that works on its own after setting whereas the rest struggle to dump at all.

Depends a lot on the suit, fit of suit and where the manufacturer decided to put the dump valve. Also depends on brand of valve.

On my suit i dive with dump 100% open all the time and to get rid of air i still have to roll and squeeze my army up to shoulder by bending elbow - its far from auto. Has been the same on my 3 previous suits as well - i MUCH prefer a simple cuff dump where i raise arm to dump and lower it to stop and have found them faster and more reliable.

From my experience here about 50% of people luck out and get a shoulder dump that works on its own after setting whereas the rest struggle to dump at all.

Your post brings two questions to mind. First, what brand of DS has the most reliable automatic valves as tested by an unbiased 3rd party and where are they placed? And second, is having an automatic valve placed on the cuff the standard placement for a particular brand or is it something that each individual must order custom regardless of the manufacturer?

I would like to point out the direction this thread has taken is somewhat off topic but is still pertinent as the information contained herein is important in determining what features an individual contemplating purchasing a DS must decide is appropriate and affordable for them.

I am very suprized that the try before you buy answer hasn't factored in here more. Its been brought up a few times, and I agree, it would be great to be able to try different suits before you buy one, since they cost so much and MAY have to be custom ordered to fit you which would most likely make them harder to resale if you arent happy. That being said, from what i hear, you more or less have to have the card to rent, so to me a little money spent there could go a long way in making sure you dont make a bad purchase, and you get a good education out of the deal too. I don't have a drysuit and have never dove one, but just on that logic it seems like the right choice to take the class (or if you could make it to a dog days type event and try several different suits that would serve much the same purpose i guess).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom