When to start using doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with many of the posts above.

I think the time to move to doubles is well in advance of your first tech course. When I took Cavern and Intro Cave courses it was a few years post Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures courses that were in turn not done until well over a full season of diving with doubles and a long hose configuration.

The payoff was that I was rock solid in all the tech courses and did not have to devote any mental energy to adjusting to the skills required with doubles nor did I have any equipment/configuration issues as they had all been resolved long before arriving on site.

In contrast another diver in the cavern course had zero doubles experience and attempted to transition during the course which resulted in excessive task loading and one issue after another as he tried to come to grips with the configuration. It also meant he did not proceed to any portion of the Intro to Cave course and did not get the same bang for the buck on what was an expensive trip to Florida. In my opinion the instructor made a major mistake in encouraging/letting that transition happen during the course as the student would have been pushing his normal limits already even with a familiar configuration.

I think instructors who suggest delaying a trasition to doubles until a tech candidate is engaged in actual technical courses do those students a disservice. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out how to dive a set of doubles and the extra gas is not going to get a diver bent or in trouble - that results from poor judgment not excessive gas.

It does help to have another doubles diver who is willing to mentor you in transitioning to doubles in a recreational environment and in making equipment selection/configuration changes as you move through the process.

I also agree that doubles can be very useful at recreatioanl depths. Some smaller boats, due to limited deck space are not very ammenable to allowing two sets of doubles on what is a recreational dive, but most could stretch it to a single set of doubles and a 30, 40 or even 80 cu ft stage as the foot print is not much larger than 2 AL 80's, and that small increase is offset by the lack of a need to swap tanks between dives.

In that regard it makes sense to do dive number 1 using all the contents of the stage (down to maybe 200 psi anyway - not bone dry) then switch to your doubles to finish dive one, while leaving at least half the total original gas (doubles plus stage) in the doubles for the second dive. You end up with slightly longer dives (still taking care to stay within the NDL's) with more reserve and much more redundancy while gaining experience with both doubles and stage bottles under the mentoring of your more experienced and better trained buddy. Then when you take that next step into a technical diving course, you have the basics already mastered and can focus on the contents and demands of the course.

I'm not planning on doing this soon but I'm very curious to ask.

When did you make the switch to doubles? What are the factors to make this switch? Since I took the rescue diver class I've realized having extra air is a good think in case an emergency comes up.

How challanging is the switch with regard to buoyancy?

Thanks much

I guess this depends a lot on how you like to dive, and your future plans. Some never switch to doubles, in fact most.

I've been diving doubles every time I hook up with my buddy who has some! :D

I have chose to do this for several reasons, but for me it was after 100 dives or so.

I also carry a pony on most deep dives I do so if I'm not familiar with my buddy.

As far as the challenge, I think it depends on the diver. I switched fairly easily, but my trim is not perfect. It's getting better! Others have had a horrible time going to doubles, but I'm not really clear why.

If you have no aspirations of doing deco diving, you maybe best serviced with a pony tank. If you dive a lot you may choose to do doubles just because you can do a two or even three tank dive on your one setup.

<snip>

I also agree that doubles can be very useful at recreatioanl depths. Some smaller boats, due to limited deck space are not very ammenable to allowing two sets of doubles on what is a recreational dive, but most could stretch it to a single set of doubles and a 30, 40 or even 80 cu ft stage as the foot print is not much larger than 2 AL 80's, and that small increase is offset by the lack of a need to swap tanks between dives.
<snip>QUOTE]

I agree, except that I wouldn't even bother with the stage (unless you want to practice diving with a stage). I would just make two dives on the doubles and not take up any more deck space than two singles.

Unless I was diving with my small doubles, then there would be room for two sets.

I agree, except that I wouldn't even bother with the stage (unless you want to practice diving with a stage). I would just make two dives on the doubles and not take up any more deck space than two singles.

The thing that's nice about using one set of doubles for two recreational dives is the ability to carry-over the reserve gas to dive #2. For example, if you use a single tank, you'll come back to the boat with your reserve gas (say, 500psi). And it stays sitting unused on the boat when you switch out your tanks for dive #2. But assuming the same amount of gas usage, you get to take the gas with you on dive #2.

And depending on your SAC rate and the depths of the recreational dives in question, you can get quite a bit of diving out of a set of doubles. It's not unusual for me to get three good, solid dives out of my 85s before I really HAVE to fill them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom