When to say when

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
This post was inspired by the 'What I lack in technique...' thread, but it's a bit of a tangent, so I've started afresh.

Originally posted by NetDoc
First rule in my book is to know WHEN to say when. If you are not happy, don't stress yourself.

I've seen this advice several times, in various contexts, from various people (ie, I'm not picking on NetDoc), but I've never found it that helpful.

I am a wuss. I would be a card-carrying member of the International Society of Wusses, if anyone were brave enough to start one. I am not proud of the fact, but I've come to accept that it's just how I am. Cautious. Or cowardly, if you prefer.

Learning to dive was... um, stressful. I wasn't happy during the pool sessions. I wasn't happy in the sea. I was doing all the stuff, so it wasn't a case of not being happy because, say, I was going to lose my mask and not be able to do anything about it. I was just non-specifically freaked out by the whole experience.

I came very close to giving up, more times than I can count, because it's supposed to be fun, right? In the end I decided it's all right to feel miserable as long as you don't do anything dumb. You can sit on the bottom just breathing while you get your head together, but you can't bolt to the surface. For me, the question isn't, 'Am I happy?' but, 'Am I dealing with the current situation, and can I deal with anything that is likely to go wrong in the next few minutes?' I do listen to my heart, but I try to make the decision with my head.

My first rule is: When in doubt, breathe. Stop and think. Or failing that, stop and breathe. And then think.

My second rule is: Know that you can get yourself to the surface, safely. Got to be better than bolting.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or does anyone have some better guidelines for deciding when to say when? I think it's an interesting question, but if you don't, please forgive me for the rant.

Dive safely,

Zept

You got me...

I was the guy who read the book three times before the class (still do that too). I was the first to volunteer for each and every skill. I was the student who helped the other students with tables and even mask clearing. I found everything about diving a complete turn on... until... I had to do saltwater. Did I ever mention how I was deathly afraid of sharks? More than that though, I hate irrational phobias (Uncle Pug, excluded! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk). So I had to force myself into the water. Everyone on the boat noticed (I had done in excess of 100 fresh water dives, and was even dive master) and my Nitrox instructor almost called the dive for me. But I stepped out before he could, and all he could do then was follow. I think my SAC for that dive was in the 20s (well, maybe not THAT bad) but after about twenty minutes of looking around, seeing my first shark in the open and it not trying to eat me, I was OK. I even enjoyed seeing all of that sea life. So sure, there are some mountains to climb, but I have to say that for the most part, all I have had has been fun.

Zept,

I guess there are different strokes for different folks. I was not overly excited about the pool time but knew it was important to become familiar with all the skills and become comfortable. I was chomping at the bit to hit the open water.

I absolutely am ecstatic getting wet in the ocean. Being able to see all my marine life "buddies" - (including the sharks Pete). I just wish I would have started diving at an earlier age. I have missed so much bottomtime. ;-0

I've cancelled lots of dives either because they've exceeded the capabilities of my buddies or myself or both. There is no shame in this. There is shame in diving when you shouldn't. Anyone should feel comfortable to call a dive. I've also found that when I call a dive my buddies often tell me they were about to do the same. Sometimes they call it just before I say anything.

How long have you been diving? How many dives have you made?

It may be that you are not yet comfortable enough with the sport to relax and enjoy it. OTOH, it may be that diving isn't your bowl of cherries. Diving is a wonderful sport, but it is not for everyone. If you've given it a fair try and you don't enjoy it you might consider tennis instead. If you are still new you should dive more, you may discover your comfort level increases with experience. I dive because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd stop.

This kinda fits here I think, your post made me think of it. In cave diving we have a very important rule.

Any diver can call the dive at any time for any reason!

If you ever don't feel right about a dive whether it driving to the site, jumping in, or already 5 mins into the dive, if you don't feel right about it, give your buddy the thumbs up and end the dive. There is no shame in being safe. Also make sure that you never dive outside your comfort level.

DOn't know if any of this applies here, but I feel better saying it. :)

Any diver can call the dive at any time for any reason NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

You can give reasons if you want, but I will trust that you had your reasons to call it. No prying or second guessing here.

Don't think I'm making my point very well.

Rules like 'any diver can call the dive at any time for any reason' work for people with a base level of comfort. If a diver who is normally happy in the water starts to feel unhappy, there's probably something wrong. Fair enough.

For a beginner -- or for some beginners, anyway -- who isn't yet happy underwater, these rules don't really help. If I'd called every dive that I felt unsure about, my diving career would amount to striding off the side of the boat, swimming to the back and getting out.

I've called dives when there was a good reason to -- when I was too cold, or too seasick. When I was merely unhappy, I figured that heading for the surface would only make the next dive harder.

I am loads happier now, after around 30 dives. I've worked hard on becoming more confident in the water, and it has payed off. I'm glad I persevered.

I know that everyone is different. Some people love diving from day one. Doesn't bother me that I needed more time to get used to it. But the question remains... for a person who is still getting comfortable in the water, how do you differentiate between nervous uncertainty and a genuine reason for calling the dive?

Zept

If your primary goal underwater is concentrating on not panicking or bolting to the surface, you are NO help to me if I have a problem. If your buddy is even half way decent, he/she will appreciate you aborting before there's a problem. This is supposed to be fun. Right?:wink:

Scott

I've called dives several times just because something wasn't quite right. I just didn't feel right. Normally, it was the second dive after doing a deep air dive, which I later found out was sub DCS. It's not unusual for me to call a dive if it's rough out or the weather looks like it could get ugly.

Anyway, calling dives has to be acceptable to you and your group. You should never feel a sense of pressure to get wet. If you feel anxious, tired, sickly, or whatever, just hang out and let the others go. Pop open a 6 pack or something and relax on the boat :wink:.

How you go about getting comfortable underwater is to dive as often as possible. Dive with people who are more experienced than you. Simplify your gear. Stay shallow and do easy dives. The more dives you get in, the more comfortable you should get. Not everyone takes to diving like fishies. You have to accept that you aren't a natural fish, and it will take longer for you. No biggie -- it will come.

Good luck.

Mike

The last one I called (cancelled) was because my guts were in an uproar. Something I ate, I reckon.
We've cancelled for weather, for water conditions, for mechanical problems with the boat, for dive equipment problems, for family "emergencies."
Basically, any time we deem some aspect of the dive to be unsafe, we do something other than dive.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom