When to replace equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred1

Reaction score
I've been certified for about 14 years and have my own equipment (BC, regulator, etc), I haven't been diving in about 6 years. Now that I've gotten back into shape, I'd like to get back into the sport and plan on taking a refresher course.

My question is, should I just service my gear, or am I better off replacing? As I mentioned, the gear is about 12-13 years old, but hasn't been used in about 6-7 years.

I've probably logged 50-60 dives with the equipment.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

The exact time to replace would be when 1) it's no longer safe or 2) it would cost nearly as much to service and get into usable shape, as it would to buy new gear outright.

I think that regs and tanks have fairly long lives and could be revived with some maintenance. BCs and wetsuits, and other rubber parts, such as mask or fin straps might not fair so well.

What kind of gear are we talking about?

Thanks for the reply...

It's a Sherwood Maximus regulator and I have a Sherwood BC. Good point on the BC, Probably my best path would be to replace it and see how much servicing the reg would run.

Sometimes it depends on the brand of your gear.

Hold on a minute- I think that you can turn in old Dacor regs and get a discount on a new Mares reg. He might be in a better position that you think!

This is what ScubaToys has to say about the trade in. Your LDS might trade it in as well.

Alright, it's been a while, so please forgive my ignorance... What is LDS?

Thanks for the heads up on the Mares upgrade!

Fred1:
I just read about Dacor..... My dad has all Dacor equipment, poor guy.

What do you mean....Now he gets to get BRAND NEW GEAR...NEWER than your gear...:D

Back
Top Bottom