When to replace drysuit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So....
It appears that already made the exposure mistake, and stored my drysuit in the basement not far from the furnace and hot water heater (and subsequently adjacent to an operating computer). I have noticed some cracking in the seals, and yesterday found my arm thoroughly damp for the first time. It appears I will soon be replacing my seals for the first time after only six months--not a good track record.

Other than location of storage, and using some sort of lubricant (talc/KY/baby shampoo/etc), any other ideas for extending the life of my seals?

I credit Seal Saver applied religiously with helping me get 200+ dives on wrist and neck seals between seal replacement...

Seal Saver at www.DiveSeekers.com

mcn-24116-2.jpg

I credit Seal Saver applied religiously with helping me get 200+ dives on wrist and neck seals between seal replacement...

Seal Saver at www.DiveSeekers.com

Good to know. I had been wary of it, as I had run accross dire warnings of the consequences of silicone use in attaching replacement seals. Clearly, however, people are having better experiences.

Good to know. I had been wary of it, as I had run accross dire warnings of the consequences of silicone use in attaching replacement seals. Clearly, however, people are having better experiences.

Please note that in addition to applying it religiously... I also apply it CAREFULLY!

Be sure not to just slather it all over the seal such that you end up getting it on the drysuit fabric. You don't need much, so don't use a lot. Two or three drops on the inside and outside of wrist seals, maybe 3-4 drops on neck seals. I do 100-150 dives a year and a bottle lasts a full 12 months.

I apply the evening before each dive day, as it makes the seals very supple and slippery for donning the suit the next morning. On liveaboard and other trips where I might be doing 5 or so dives a day I might re-apply once during the day.

I also apply before storing the suit if I'm not going to be using it for a while, such as on my DUI 30/30 tropical suit which only gets used 2-3 weeks a year while on vacation.

Lastly, keep the seals out of UV rays! Don't hang your suit out in the sun to dry if at all possible. If you must, turn the neck seal and wrist seals inside out to keep them out of direct exposure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom