When to help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

try doing an engineering degree when your father is an engineer!

leave her be, let her know once (yes, i did say and MEAN once) that if she has questions to come to you OR the dive shop. After that it's up to her.

>Whenever I train someone who has a loved one in the class I have a strict rule ... in this class, you're just two divers. If you try to be
>too helpful, you'll hold each other back ... or one of you will become dominant while the other becomes dependent. You really don't
>want that.

in the short time I've been a DM I've been quite surprised by the amount of partners/siblings/parent-child teams that end up being split due to both of them task narrowing and creating more stress for one or both of the divers... or in the case of partners one (usually the male) taking over tasks for the other.

Both my kids are grown now, so the question was just out of curiousity. One's a diver who certified in college. The other has a mild form of epilepsy so she'll likely never get medical clearance, but she's not that interested anyway or otherwise we would pursue it further.

If your daughter really wants to dive, you might want to look at HSA. I don't know the limitations of their training. They also provide training for dive buddies for special circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom