When to help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrGRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My daughter is 15, she has just finished her Discover SCUBA and now getting ready to start her OW classes. My problem - I am excited for her, I am having trouble with jumping in to help with her at home studies for her OW to include gear set up ect.. I really do not want to goof her up with what her instructors are teaching her but I do really want to pass on to her what I know.
Should I just keep my mouth shut for now? Wait until she has her OWC? OR would it be okay to jump in and share my 2 cents with her? :(

Hold back while she is in a formal class and controlled setting. Most people learn best by making their own mistakes without worrying about looking stupid in front of family.

Speaking from my experience with my son, it will probably mean more to both of you if she can show off to you what she learned after she is certified.

It's natural to be enthusiastic, but at 15 she's capable of learning it straight from the instructor and the book.

I'd suggest you just assure her you're there to answer any questions, and then shut up until she asks any. if she's even halfway as enthused as her dad, she'll do fine and will be the prouder for it to be 'her' thing.

This isn't really a scuba thing. It's more of a teenager/parent thing (fortunately a good one)..

Just remember when you were starting and trying to remember everything at once. If we presume her instructor is covering everything essential, why load her with other stuff or with the task of trying to figure out if what her instructor is saying is the same thing you told her, or a contradiction of what her instructor told her, or something additional her instructor hasn't told her that she also has to remember. She'll ask if she thinks she needs help, and then you can ask her what she understood her instructor to say, which will give you a pretty good idea of what the instructor wanted her to know. Attending to one instructor is quite enough.

I'd wait on helping her for now. She will learn what her instructor has to offer and get her certification. Once the class is over you can start offering assitance to encourage her to become a great diver.

Good luck!

Speaking as an instructor, I not only like but require parents to be involved in their kids training. Silently and with their hands in their pockets:D . It is nothing personal but the fact is that she is training and you hired an instructor to train her. I am guessing because if you could you would but if you are not an instructor it is not a good idea. When it comes to family I prefer to allow someone else I trust to train them.

It keeps the parent/child, husband/wife dynamic out of the picture. I tried teaching first wife golf and how to ski - stupidest thing I did in that marriage. Tried to help second one with algebra - even dumber. I let my OW instructor cert my son and I didn't even go on the dives the second day of checkouts.

I'm sure you are a great dad. But I'm also betting that like me and others you want her to do well. On her own. Helping her with gear setup, studies, etc is really not helping her. This is something she needs to be completely responsible for and learn herself. If she were in my class you would have to be at every session - pool and classroom. You would not be permitted to interfere in any way with the class. If you did her training would stop or her mom would have to accompany her or even a grandparent. You would be involved in the sense that you would know what homework is required and I would expect you to encourage her to do it. But not do it for her as I would know very quickly if she did not understand something.

In the pool you could observe and even be her buddy for things like air shares and no mask swims. Unless she is physically unable to do something you would not carry her tank, set up her gear, or carry her weights even. I might even have her set up your gear just for the extra practice. You could do the predive buddy check with her but she would lead it.

You have the opportunity to get a dive buddy who will be there for a long time and share something really special. Don't screw it up by jumping in and even giving her a hint that she needs you to do something.

Finally back to the dynamics of family - as an instructor I can require a student to perform to a level that you cannot. Because she's your daughter you may even subconsciously allow her some slack. That could be very dangerous. She can get mad at me for making her do a mask clear 4 times or repeat the reg recovery and it is no big deal. By the next class she'll be over it. But if she gets mad at you she has to look at your mug for a week or whatever and there will always be that tension that doesn't need to be there. So let the instructor do his/her job. Later you can give tips you have learned but don't be suprised if she blows you off at first. She may discover her own way that works better than yours. I've seen kids surpass their parents skills very quickly given the chance to. I've also seen parents hold their kids back by insisting that they only dive with them and dive the way they do. There was one dad who probably ruined his son's diving. As a DM I helped with this kids OW and by the end of the third dive he was doing a decent frog kick, trying to stay in trim, and was someone I'd dive with in a heartbeat. And he wanted to dive locally. But his butthole of a dad insisted he only dive with him on vacation in clear water because there was nothing to see. Whined about 30 ft vis on the Duane. He was a trainwreck and had no desire to improve. The way he was diving was good enough for him. I wanted to smack him.

Don't ruin her enjoyment of the sport by sticking your nose in too early and too often. Just dive with her and she may show you a thing or two!

I was in the same boat last Fall. My daughter went through SSI (not sure of your agency) and since she was 15, I was required to sit with her in class and be present during pool time as her legal guardian. My .02 PSI would be to let her learn in the organization according to their standards and be there to help with questions at home etc. but not hover.

This is pretty "grown up" stuff to a lot of young kids. The feeling of accomplishment and slef confidence boost was big for my daughter when she finished. I was there to help if she had questions, but wanted her to do it on her own.

As it turns out, she has made a very good basic OW diver with above average Bouancy skills. She's a diligent buddy and during this first full summer of her being certified we plan to get a lot of bottom time refining our skills and working together as a team. This is where you can impart your knowledge to her.

Not sure if you have any other kids, but I got to shadow her on her final checkout dive. At the end of their dive plan they were to assemble at the 20' platform where the Instructor / DM's gave them their open water patch. It was a cool moment. When she saw me she held up the patch and signed "I heart you" and I gave her the O.K. sign........yeah, I wanted to do a thumbs up but caught myself.....:D

I'm glad you will get the experience of diving with your daughter. For me, it's more fun watching my girl than the environment! BTW, if you allow your daughter to visit online forums and she gets set-up here, let me know and I will put her in touch with mine.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom