when to book a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So when is the best time to book a liveaboard trip 6 months before, a year, a week before?

I have seen that last minute booking is cheaper than booking months ahead...they get better deal...

I suspect that many of us have jobs and other commitments that limit our vacation schedules to certain blocks of time throughout the coming year, and we have certain destinations in mind, so we first figure out when we have a block of time to do a liveaboard and then find a liveaboard that fits our schedule and chosen destination. For me, this means I need to plan and commit at least six months out. But if you have the ability to leave for a dive trip any time you want and don't care too much about the destination, then most certainly a last-minute booking is going to save you money.

The first liveaboard I ever booked was due to the fact that I was fooling around on internet web sites and came across an unbelievable air fare to Grand Cayman. I called and booked the liveaboard to take advantage of the airfare.

This is of interest to me as well, could we add some additional suggestions in regards to particular sites?

Like for instance I would assume a trip around the islands west of Thailand would be much easier last minute than say the Galapagos or Raja Ampat, yes?

Sorry for the elaboration to the OP, I hope you don't mind :)

It depends on popularity.

We're pretty much focusing on liveaboards lately where possible. We book about 3-6 months in advance. Last minute deals are good but not if the airfare to get there is double or triple what you'll save. To some locations flight availability becomes an issue also closer to the departure. I saw a great last minute deal on Explorer's Saba/St Kitt's trip a few years back. But to get there would have been 2 days and around $1500.

From a near the U.S. perspective here's some things I've observed.

The Socorros trips are already mostly filled thru 2013. Some are now booking 2014. It's due to a combination of being seasonal and increasing popularity. Most times I've looked at the Galapagos or Cocos - availability is already limited/closed a year or more in advance. There's more boats in the Galapagos now also since Buddy Dive added two.

Both Explorer Ventures or the Aggressor/Dancer Fleet(same owner) often offer certain weeks at a substantial discount. The Explorer e-mail typically shows up late winter IIRC so get on both their e-mail lists. The really popular weeks go fast also. Both also list specials on their websites. We saved $400pp to Turks/Caicos 2 years ago on Explorer. Aggressor often moored at the next mooring over so both boats were basically doing the same agenda.

Dancer usually is a little cheaper than Aggressor. In Belize both boats do the same dives so save the money unless you like the fancier service. It's odd that they compete with themselves there.

A less known option is that Cat Ppalu often sells extra spots when their chartering party doesn't take the whole boat. It's not a big boat so there's not a lot of options. But for a single/couple it's around $1600pp - easy to get to Nassau also.

I was looking at booking Arenui - Indonesia - but it's showing Chartered/Full for most of 2013 and a lot of 2014 already. I don't see that getting any better. That might be one to book the boat first then watch for flight deals closer to the date.

Last edited:
Assuming you are able to travel that way, definitely booking last minute...as long as the airfare isn't crazy. I'm able to travel that way, and routinely save 25% plus and have been able to negotiate such things as my own room, free nitrox, etc.

thats true, if you wait too much you will pay the price on the airline fair and it might be the same....

so i think i will start booking for turks & caicos next year...

Back
Top Bottom