When should you first start shooting/filming during dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I need to go for a closeup shot I'll signal my Fiancé or she'll signal me and point at something she thinks I should shoot,at which point i'd head over and she'll hover in my peripheral. Situational awareness still remains key,those shots don't outweigh anything else

What makes me think i'm good enough to film and dive? Good trim and land-on-a-dime buoyancy and rescue training helps me. You basically have to feel comfortable in the water without your hands,as you'll sacrifice 1/both if you aren't using a static camera setup. You also need to know the camera inside and out,should be able to activate and adjust without fiddling forever

I also enjoy using a BCD shoulder Mount as that often gives me a better overall view of the dive as it is makes it appear like I have a pro photographer over my shoulder. The only issue that I have with having my gopro mounted to my shoulder via my BCD is that it is quite difficult to turn on/off your camera during your dive.
And when your camera is on a constant record mode it makes the footage quite long (longer editing time) and also my camera will fog up after about 5 minutes of constant recording even when in tropical water. Also don't plan on using the remote down under the water because the pressure pushes both buttons way in making it pretty much useless for scuba.

This means that you also have to purchase the GoPro moisture absorbing packs if you don't want foggy footage after 5-10 minutes during your dive.

The only company I currently know that is selling these type of mounts is http://www.zgear.org and for $29.99 it is a better deal then GoPro's chest mount or the Octomask.

In regards to how knowledgeable you are with the dive site or how good your buoyancy control is, I would not see why having the camera rolling at all times on your shoulder should affect your diving safety or comfort level in anyway? Just start recording and forget about it till your back on the dive boat or beach. Here is a picture example of how I do it.
G0731462.jpg

Great responses.

I'm a complete beginner so I'm not going to use my GoPro I've decided, despite how many dives I do. Snorkeling is a different beast, quite easy to go snorkeling with a pole/stick.

In the interest of safety of nor just myself, but my dive buddy as well, I think I'd be happier and more comfortable not filming while I'm scubadiving - like you all said, once you have buoyancy control and things are second nature, that's when you can feel comfortable venturing out with a camera. Unless all that is under control, the cameras will just detract from that and make it quite risky for yourself and people around you.

Thanks for your input :)

-SineTwo

Good plan! It's very easy to get task overloaded and tunnelvision the camera if your other skills aren't second nature yet. Using a permanent mount may be a way to sidestep the issue till you are comfortable enough to handle it manually. I started off using a glove/wrist mount,you have both hands available but you can point and shoot with relative ease

One of our local charter operators says the head strap for the GoPro is the best way to need to upgrade to a better camera . . . he's seen too many cameras lost by people using them.

I started taking a little point and shoot camera underwater with me after a year or two of diving, just to try to record things I saw so that I could look them up later. My pictures were pretty bad, and that, in my experience, is fairly typical for photographs by novice divers. Good buoyancy control, control of position, and a fair amount of bandwidth for planning composition, exposure and lighting are required to make pictures that are anything more than a fish-shaped spot in a blue-gray background. It's gotten worse with the GoPros, I think. There is SO much jerky, unsteady and poorly lit video out there that just isn't fun for anybody (except maybe the maker) to watch.

I understand the desire to record the amazing things we see underwater, and share them with friends; but honestly, when you are new enough that basic diving skills aren't solidified, it's better to find some good photographers who are shooting in the area where you are diving, and link to their pictures with a comment that you got to see the same fish or wreck or whatever.

The chin strap is a requirement for the GoPro IMO. I was talking to a charter operator who regularly does Monday morning dives with his friends to some of the popular wrecks. He's found several GoPro cameras (plus all sorts of other random dive gear), lost because the diver didn't use the chin strap.

I just ordered an UW camera. I have 70ish dives and have been diving for a few years... Plus I'm an avid above water photographer as well.

One of the other problems with the head mount is that we do actually move our heads quite a bit when diving. This results in a lot of really jerky footage.

One of the other problems with the head mount is that we do actually move our heads quite a bit when diving. This results in a lot of really jerky footage.

I normally just move my head when I see something, and not my whole body, so a body/gear mounted video camera might miss what I'm seeing. I thought it would be better to edit out the jerky stuff. Am I looking at this (no pun intended) the wrong way?

To add another point of view:

- fixing the camera to your body/head and recording the entire dive will result in a lot bad shaky footage that will take too long to edit or watch.

- shoot handheld, attach it to a coiled lanyard or retractor clipped to your BCD. your footage will be framed 100% better than fixed to your body/head

- shooting basic video is a lot easier than photo. point the camera hit record. hit stop when finished. repeat when you see something interesting.

The GoPro is so small and light, it is very easy to use. Yes, you should be a comfortable diver before shooting video, but basic shooting with the GoPro is very very easy. Using a lanyard or retractor leaves your hands free when you are not recording. On a typical dive, how much of the dive is really interesting that you want to record it on video and watch it later ?

Many people shooting the entire dive with the camera fixed to their head/body will either give up the hobby or switch to handheld after watching their footage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom