When should I buy my own gear? BCD REG Computer weights etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamdro

New
Reaction score
Hey Scuba Board, I finally did it, I got my open water after many years of wanting to. I recently moved to san diego and so far I love it here though I don't really know anyone. I want to keep diving, I felt very comfortable in the water (though cold) and there is a lot I need to work on (buoyancy mainly). I joined the dive club from my shop and they seem to go out all the time. I want to get a few dives in before working on my advanced and now I have the "luxury" of looking into buying my own gear. Though I have the money, I tend to buy stuff I tend to not use later, I hope diving doesn't become like that but who knows. I want to get a back inflate bcd, i know everyone here likes bp/w, but I feel a back inflate bcd will be enough at first, the choices of a bp/w setup seem overwhelming over picking up a knight hawk with an air2. I am however interested in going into wrecks at some point, though all the ones out here are extremely deep so I don't know how many people actually do it. My local shop charges $50 a day to rent gear and it's not the best, i could buy a scuba pro package for like 1350 which comes with a knight hawk a mk25/(i don't remember) and a decent computer, by my math (excluding tank rentals) thats 33 dives of rentals, and it's my own stuff, I want to go once/ twice a week, especially more in the summer, and at night after work when I get my advanced (though renting tanks before hand seems a bit difficult). So i'm wondering your opinions on when I should make the big step of getting the gear, sure, I could buy it all separately, but then i'm not really saving anything, I also want to go traveling in the future.

Basically I want to buy my own gear, but i'm worried i'm getting ahead of myself, should I rent for a few dives (how many is a few?) should I just go all out and force myself to keep doing it? I'm curious to know when you all decided to buy your own gear, especially those that live near diving destinations. Also, when is buying a tank worth it?

Ps. I already have my own wetsuit and all the other essentials mask fins booties gloves etc.

I got all my gear before i even got certified, everything except tanks, just ordered 2 steel 100's, if u like diving i would say go ahead and buy it, if ur not sure, keep renting until u make up ur mind :) u can always sell ur gear for 50-60% of what u gonna pay if u will decide that diving is not for u, u will be more comfortable with ur own gear, u will get used to it. No need to adjust to different gear all the time will make working on ur skills easier/faster

What he said. Owning your own tank(s) means you can get fills then dive when you want and not have to return them that same day. Buy when you know what type/size tank suits you best.

If you have the dough then I would say go for it.

I waited a bit because I traveled alot for work before I got "serious" with my hobby. I bought (new) travel friendly gear for future moves and vacations, though I have been diving quite a lot locally.

If you doubt you can go for the equipment and be sure that there is a decent market to sell the equipment used when you upgrade.

I would not buy a tank just yet.

Scuba diving equipment is essentially a life support system for people that venture under water for extended periods of time.

If you went in to space or to some other environment that does not support human life, would you trust your life to rental equipment? I understand financials play a big role in this, so if it were me I would buy my regulator first and ensure it is maintained properly. Then I would acquire other items as I could afford it. My wife and I chose to purchase all of our equipment as soon as we had passed our OW. Much of it we are still using 20+ years later (or that which we are not using is still usable but has been replaced because we wanted something different.)

My 2 PSI.

I would decide how often you are going to dive. If you are still figuring out how much you will be diving I would say renting is fine. But if you know you will be diving somewhat frequently then research what you need and make educated buys. If you need to try a few different things to decide, sometimes you can try then at your LDS.

Honestly, if diving is for you and you can afford it, buy your gear. You will be more inclined to dive since you wont need to rent anything. And you will be more willing to do less spectacular dives that you wouldn't rent gear to dive but still may enjoy.

As far as back inflates and bp/w setups go, if you won't be getting too tech, then back inflate seems fine. I use a zeagle brigade, really like the thing. Perfect for diving singles. I could change the wing and put a plate on it if I wanted to do doubles but if I were going to go that route I would most likely get a harness as well and have a dedicated doubles/tech setup. If you are going to dive deep often and use doubles I would advise you to go with the bp/w.

When you know you are in this to stay AND you have researched, borrowed, rented enough stuff you know what works for you= Buy as you can afford

Owning the BC is pivotal to gaining finesse. Cylinders provide freedom and the regulator set peace of mind.

Pete

I would do the BC (be it a jacket style or BP/W) regs and a decent computer. Tanks would be last on my list because of the cost, annuals, and hydros. As far as regs there are some good regs out there and they don't have to get expensive. And computers boy oh boy are there some good choices. You want to keep in mind on a computer you definitely want a nitrox computer. Because you will end up there sooner than later. As far as hose or hoseless that's a crap shoot. I don't care for hoseless wireless transmitter systems, but I guess the technology is improving.

Cold in San Diego? What type of thermal protection were you wearing? Try Monterey dude. I love San Diego. I have a cousin that lives down there. And you can easily dive the Yukon on a recreational cert and get in good quality explorations. The Hogan is really deep, but even then on a custom mix of nitrox you can get some bottom time there too. Since you are living there check out the Lois Ann dive charter. The last time I was on their boat it was a great operation. Bruce

If money isn't much of a concern then by all means get your own gear. Before you rush out talk to members of your dive club, ask about their gear and what they like about it. If you have a chance to try before you purchase even better. You can also look online for deals if you are not sure about the gear at your LDS but it's hard to go wrong with Scubapro. Also, ask yourself how much vacation diving you will do and if you will be taking your gear as well. You might explore gear light enough for travel but with enough buoyancy and lift for local dives.

I break gear into personal fit items like wetsuits and BC, then non personal fit items like computers and regs.

I would start with personal fit items since fit matters and there is no guarantee when renting on vacation you get the needed fit. You don't want ruin vacation dive with gear that doesn't fit. Rental regs doesn't matter what size.

I dive a Zeagle stiletto. Back inflate BC, almost as light as most travel BC's but still plenty lift for local California diving. My daughter has an Aeris EX travel light, essentially a plastic backplate and wings. Light enough for travel but also plenty of lift for local diving. It doesn't have many D rings but she only needs attachments for light and Octo anyways.

Since the regs and computer should go in carry on anyways, it's up to you if you want lighter regs or just get the best one you can afford. Most divers change gear over time (it's almost like a disease, ineedtobuynewgearitis) anyways so no matter what you buy now there is a fair chance you will change later.

Good luck!

I bought my gear when I finished my OW class, and although I replaced a good deal of it within six months, I don't regret having bought it at all. It allowed me to dive regularly, and I needed to do that to become a good enough diver so that I would enjoy things enough to keep doing them.

I would, though, recommend that you get hold of someone like GUE instructor Marc Hall before you spend your money. I know you said you didn't want to go with a backplate system right now, but why buy something you are likely to want to replace? At least have a look at a backplate rig before you commit. (My back inflate BC was one of the things that was replaced within six months.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom